Neon tetra random death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipsqueakkk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is not new and I do 30% weekly water changes. Checked all my water parameters and they are fine. My neons slowly are dying off. First they separate them self and hide under a cave then in the next day or so they are dead :( I don't want my other fish in the tank to be affected. What should I do?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They start to look pale and grayish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Poor fish. :( it looks like they have fish tuberculosis. I had a problem with that a few months ago. You must quarantine them right away, then do more research.

theres no signs that say fish tb in my opinon, the grey or pale look is stress. what size tank, exact parameters, other fish? need to know it all mah friend.

Okay, this research is becoming very confusing. I'm getting a whole range of completely different things. But no matter what is going on with the fish, you need to quarantine them.

Okay, this research is becoming very confusing. I'm getting a whole range of completely different things. But no matter what is going on with the fish, you need to quarantine them.

although i agree theres a range of possibilities i wouldnt qt, i feel this would stress them worse. do some large waterchanges.

although i agree theres a range of possibilities i wouldnt qt, i feel this would stress them worse. do some large waterchanges.

+1 here. IMO, neons are probably one of the worst, if not the worst fish when it comes to hardiness. I've always seen them as the most sketchy and iffy fish around that just don't last.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

+1 here. IMO, neons are probably one of the worst, if not the worst fish when it comes to hardiness. I've always seen them as the most sketchy and iffy fish around that just don't last.

That's true. It's also a double edged sword because they don't take kindly to large water changes either in my experience. Especially when parameters are shifted greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I've given up on them unless I could do a better tank for them.

I do wonder if it is not ideal to try and keep low ph fish in high ph water (and vice versa). I know we talk about store bred, they adjust, etc, etc but I have sneaking feeling it could be some extra stress for them. Which is fine unless they get stressed out by something else. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom