Neon Tetra with a lump on head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squigley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I have a neon tetra with a grey like lump on its head, I had a nitrate spike in my tank last week and managed to get that down to normal in 3 days so the fish have had a hard time. I have read about neon tetra disease but was wondering if the lump could be more related to the nitrate like a burn or something. I can post a photo later of it and all other levels are where they are ment to be

Hi all I have a neon tetra with a grey like lump on its head, I had a nitrate spike in my tank last week and managed to get that down to normal in 3 days so the fish have had a hard time. I have read about neon tetra disease but was wondering if the lump could be more related to the nitrate like a burn or something. I can post a photo later of it and all other levels are where they are ment to be
Nitrate or nitrite as nitrate builds up over time nitrite spikes, usually meaning the tank cycle crashed slightly, keep an eye on the water parameters doing a pwc when you see ammonia or nitrite on the test kit, but you have to find it what caused it to spike, could be a dead fish somewhere, could be poor tank maintenence, many different things, could you tell us more about the tank
Size
How long is been set up
What water conditioner do you use to treat the water with when doing a pwc
Filtration meaning model, type
# of fish
What test kit do you use

I did 3 50% water changes over 3 days and have done 25% one everyday for the last 3 days as advised from the fish shop I go to, i think I figured out how it spiked, I wasn't using the gravel vacume correctly so when got that going right there was a lot of build up in the gravel. I have a 70l tank, with 4 guppies, 3 platys, 2 mollies, 1 glass catfish, 1 flying fox and 12 neons, 10 of them school well and 2 seem to keep to themselfs more often. I have had fish in the tank for 3 weeks, it was cycled for 3 days short of 1 month. I have had one death of a guppy (which was devastating for me) but I noticed and got it out if the tank within half an hour of seeing it swimming to despairing and finding it dead in the plants. I use prime as conditioner and added stability when I was doing the 50% changes to drop nitrate levels. It's a aqua one eco style 61 tank which came with the filter so I don't know much about the filter sorry. Test kit is aqua one liquid test kit I have been working closely with the fish shop to determine and double test levels in my water but his advice to a sick fish is to just flush it which I am not ok with if there is a chance the fish is actually ok

Is the fish acting different? Others nipping or chasing at it at all? Is it a open wound, or just a lump? How long has it been there?

It seems to be acting ok, not really schooling much but hangs near the others and still eating. The lump is kind of grey doesn't look open and doesn't seem to get chased or nipped at. One of my mollies is alittle aggressive but only toward the other molly which concerns me alittle but havnt noticed it doing anything to any of the other fish. Should i isolate The neon?

It seems to be acting ok, not really schooling much but hangs near the others and still eating. The lump is kind of grey doesn't look open and doesn't seem to get chased or nipped at. One of my mollies is alittle aggressive but only toward the other molly which concerns me alittle but havnt noticed it doing anything to any of the other fish. Should i isolate The neon?
How long has the lump been there?

With the mollies, you might want to make sure you have enough females. Males get aggressive if there's no females, or not enough.

The lump has been there for 4 days that I know of, they get watched everyday for atleast an hour easy seems to be once I got the nitrate levels back to normal I noticed it

And I would say that is my problem with the mollies once I'm confident the other fish are doing ok I will have to get a female! It's been a tough few weeks but I'm enjoying it so far

If he's acting normal. And still eating. I wouldn't worry too much. Cause if it's a tumor. There's nothing you can really do. Just enjoy and relax. It might have even been there and you just noticed it. But, keep an eye on him and his lump. Don't treat with anything till you know for sure what your dealing with. If there's any change of him pull him and put him in something till you figure out what it is. Google and people on here have been good friends for advice. And keep testing your water. Hope everything goes good.

Thank you For your help, I have been looking for a good aquarium forum page for advice when I need it and this o e seems to be the most active page I have found! Thank you heaps again :)

Back
Top Bottom