Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asboss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I have 5 Neon Tetras and from the first day one of the Tetras has kept away from the rest, when the others go towards it the lone tetra chases them away!!.
This isn't the main problem though, when I feed the others take food but the lone tetra never seems to get any. He is now smaller and thinner than the others. :confused:
Can anyone help ?? I think we might loose him to starvation:nono::nono:

Regards
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Im not an expert on tetra behavior/schooling behavior but generally, if a fish is sick it will isolate itself. Can you possibily qt the fish in question? At the very least, you would be able to assure he is getting adequate food. Hopefully, somone with more neon experience can help figure this out!

I have several neons and i notice that they dont tend to eat...however if you look closely they are eating really small specks of food since the bigger fish tend to grab the bigger flakes first. If you feel that they are not eating i would QT them and feed them there so that you know for sure if they are eating or not. Not eating is a sign of sickness so i would deff check into it.

This happened to my neons. In my opinion its because the one isolated fish is smaller, sick, or it was bought from a differant store and needs time to get used to its fellow fish. Or maybe the fish was kept in a differant tank at the store and need time to school. Sadly ur fish might die :/

Thanks guys,

the lone tetra seems fine and not sick, seems like he is guarding an area of tank and mves the others away when they come near, it's just he dosen't seem to eat like the others, he has done this since I bought them and they all were bought at the same time from the same stock tank.
I have had them a week now so will see how he gets on, I might have to Q him to make sure he eats.
Many thanks for your prompt replys (y)

Regards (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I hope hes ok. Neon tetras arnt territorial so i dont no what the heck is going on.. How many neon tetras do u have?

Jk i saw that u have 5. If u increase the school things would probably get better

Cheers for that, going to get 2 RCS later so will pick up a few mor tetras(y)

will different tetras showl together or will I have to get neons like I already have :fish2:
Regards

Nowons will school only with neons an same with most other tetras! Even if u have 2 fish that look very similar like cardinal tetras and neon tetras they wont school

Thanks Nu-Nu the eel,

like for like then, I will let you know how they get on, thank you again for the prompt replys & help.

:thanks::thanks: (y)

Can't belive they are waiting for a delivery of neons :confused: so got 3 RCS which are going round my fluval like mad, they are great to watch and funny little things, the neons were a bit cautious round them but it has brought the loner out as the shrimp are all round the area he guards.
Also gota small bog wood with Anubus plant on it which looks great.
The only problem is that upto now 3 tiny snails have appeared so gonna keep my eye on them to see if they do any harm.
I will post a few pics later.
Thanks for your interest it's much appreciated(y)

Haha sounds good! Get rid of the 3 tiny snails! They multiply super fast ad soon there will be hundreds.

Im not an expert on tetra behavior/schooling behavior but generally, if a fish is sick it will isolate itself. Can you possibily qt the fish in question? At the very least, you would be able to assure he is getting adequate food. Hopefully, somone with more neon experience can help figure this out!

I agree with this. I had some tiger barbs and the smallest one did the same thing. He did not make it:(

Also gota small bog wood with Anubus plant on it which looks great.
The only problem is that upto now 3 tiny snails have appeared so gonna keep my eye on them to see if they do any harm.
I will post a few pics later.
Thanks for your interest it's much appreciated(y)

Much to my surprise I also found a tiny snail on the glass in my 5 gallon betta tank! I bought a small piece of real driftwood that also has an anubus attached to it. I've had it in the tank for about 2 months. I haven't noticed any snails before. I wonder if their ok too.

Much to my surprise I also found a tiny snail on the glass in my 5 gallon betta tank! I bought a small piece of real driftwood that also has an anubus attached to it. I've had it in the tank for about 2 months. I haven't noticed any snails before. I wonder if their ok too.

Hey Reygan2,

have the snails just appeared?? might take them out tomorrow ( if I can find them) and hope its only 3 before they start breeding :eek:
Keep me informed (y)

I agree with this. I had some tiger barbs and the smallest one did the same thing. He did not make it:(

Sorry for the loss of your Tiger Barb, I was going to start with Tigers but went for the Neons.

Hope for a happy and healthy tank for you (y)

Are they not beneficial at all? He's such a cute little guy:lol:. I wonder why it took so long for it to emerge?

Back
Top Bottom