Neons breathing rapidly...no other signs of illness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone.

I've got a question about a couple of my Neon Tetras. A couple days ago 2 of my 9 started breathing extremely rapidly with no other signs of illness. They still were schooling with the others, and seemed to not be under any stress other than looking like they were gasping extremely hard.

To be safe, I set up a QT and moved them over to keep an eye on them. A third Neon had been hiding under my driftwood, and even though he was not breathing hard, I moved him over as well to be on the safe side since his behavior was slightly different from the others.

Two days later now, they are still breathing heavy in the QT (the third is breathing normally). Their gills look healthy, no spots or other physical symptoms at all.

Parameters are 0, 0, 5-10, pH-7.4, 75-76 degrees. They're housed with Red Eye Tetras, Danios, Otos, single Bolivian Ram, Amanos and RCS.

Any alternative ideas of what can cause rapid breathing with no other symptoms?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
mabye NTD i lost a few to it before

I had thought about that too, but I thought losing their color was one of the indicators. They're still as colorful as they've always been. I also can't find reference to the rapid breathing being related to NTD, but it'll definitely be one of my considerations.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
hmm.. low o2 levels or maybe some type of gil parasites?

Gills look wonderfully healthy, plenty of aeration and surface movement in both the DT and the QT. They were also gasping as they swam along happily, they haven't been hanging around the surface at all.

That's why it's so odd to me that this is happening with absolutely no physical issues.

They were in the DT, they haven't since I moved them to the QT...but I think that's just from the stress of being in a new home.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
I'm truly puzzled

That makes two of us, lol.

I had just made some changes to the tank (switched part of substrate), and at first I thought they were just stressed out, but it's been 4 days and they're still gasping. No one else in the tank other than these two seemed bothered by the changes either.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
... this is weird no flashing at all? i mean...maybe there just quirky lol

No flashing, no erratic swimming, no clamped fins, nothing. The third one I put in there who was hiding under the driftwood may have just been an innocent bystander who was in the wrong place at the wrong time when I was scooping the others out, lol.

But they only started doing this a few days ago so it's something new. There's also been no recent additions to the tank in months.

Agreed. I'm just wondering what I'm gonna do if in a week they're still breathing the same...but no signs of illness have appeared, lol.

I've got some Maracyn, I've been considering starting a regiment to be on the safe side. Do you know any downsides to using it if there's actually nothing wrong? I have been using aquarium salt in the QT the last couple days.

i know nothing about meds sorry all ive ever done was salt n heat for ich i dont think thered be much of a negative effect though

Still in QT, still breathing rapidly, still look perfectly normal otherwise...and I'm still clueless, lol.

I think I'm just gonna wait it out. I talked with another member that said antibiotics are a strain on the fish, and she wouldn't treat unless I know what I'm treating. So, just aquarium salt for now.

If I don't see symptoms or improvement soon...I don't know what I'm going to do. Might be a good excuse to buy a 10 gallon to heavily plant and have a Neon only tank, lol.

Back
Top Bottom