Neons breathing rapidly...no other signs of illness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Down to 5. My QT has officially turned into a Neon only DT, lol. I even added a few decorations :). The wife is not happy because it means no new blue Glofish until the Neons get out of the quarantine tank.

I'm as clueless as I was from the start. I had almost decided to risk putting them back in the DT...but the day after I said it I woke up and another one was dead.

I have no idea, I have to think it's just poor breeding at this point since there are no signs of illness or disease. My real worry is that if they continue dying off...what I'm going to do when there is only 1 or 2 of them? Should I consider euthanizing the remaining ones since there's no way I'm going to re-up their schooling numbers, and I know it'd be bad for them being solo or just a pair waiting to die. I'm really not sure.

hm i think it is a bad strain if it gets down to 1-2 id consider euthanizen them but i cant say 100% whatd id do i wish we could tell if there in paiin

Very tough decision. From what I noticed I had a pretty high die off rate myself but for about 3 weeks to a month my last 5 have been going strong surprising this is one of the two hottest months of the year. I may not add salt but I'n guessing maybe the heat have kept mines alive. But again if it doesn't work for you and the rest must go might aswell qwikly instead of suffering.

Yeah, thing is they've been in there almost a month. A month long QT seems to go against the purpose of having a QT...but I'm not sure of other options. If there was a way to know for certain that it was bad stock...I'd let them live out the rest of their lives in the DT. However, since I have no idea what is wrong with them, I'm afraid to reintroduce them back in with the others.

I'd have to think if it was some sort of disease, parasite, etc... the damage would be done by now...but after a month, I don't know what to do.

After a month though if it was a parasite or any other external source then i would think it would have taken it's course by now so I would lean towards weak stock since I've read neons are none for it. Of course it's all about peace of mind but I have to think it's weak stock by now.

Desastre said:
After a month though if it was a parasite or any other external source then i would think it would have taken it's course by now so I would lean towards weak stock since I've read neons are none for it. Of course it's all about peace of mind but I have to think it's weak stock by now.

I feel the same way...my concern is just that if I reintroduce them to the DT, with my luck all the other fish will start the same odd behavior. That said, I can't keep these guys in the QT forever. I guess I'm going to have to risk it at some point.

Back
Top Bottom