New neon tetras dying at an alarming pace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I just got 12 neons on Saturday and since then 9 have died :'(
I've been going back to replace the dead fish (but I'm done ) obviously something is wrong with these fish !
I tested the water they came in from the LFS and it had 0.25 ammo and 10-20 trate.
I do my wc on Sunday so I did them yesterday and also another huge one when this morning I found 2 dead neons and I found one about 5 mins ago
I assumed when the death started occurring that there was an ammo spike from adding too many at once
I added 12 neons , 6 danios, 2 clown loaches
I have 3 filters running on this tank so there should be more than enough BB
It's a 45 g corner tank all other fish are fine including shrimp/ snails
Thought these guys were supposed to be hardy, but this is ruining how beautiful they are for me

You tested the water from the lfs but what are the readings from your tank for am, nitrite, nitrate & ph? It sounds like you added too many fish at once & overwhelmed your bb & your amm and/or nitrite spiked. Your bb were adjusted to your previous stocking levels & they need time to readjust upwards when you stock new fish in order for bb to convert the increased ammonia levels. This why you should take the time to stock slowly.

How did you acclimate the new fish? If your not familiar with the process, you should check out U-tube for how-to videos on 'drip acclimation'. You will need to carefully monitor your water parameters for atleast the next 2 wks & do water changes as needed until your bb adjust to the increased bioload.

jlk said:
You tested the water from the lfs but what are the readings from your tank for am, nitrite, nitrate & ph? It sounds like you added too many fish at once & overwhelmed your bb & your amm and/or nitrite spiked. Your bb were adjusted to your previous stocking levels & they need time to readjust upwards when you stock new fish in order for bb to convert the increased ammonia levels. This why you should take the time to stock slowly.

How did you acclimate the new fish? If your not familiar with the process, you should check out U-tube for how-to videos on 'drip acclimation'. You will need to carefully monitor your water parameters for atleast the next 2 wks & do water changes as needed until your bb adjust to the increased bioload.

I float them for 30 mins, then I drip acclimate them .
My stats are ammo 0, trite 0 trate 0

image-2780061239.jpg

I thought that having 3 filters full of bb would certainly buffer the new fish I added and one of those filters is a dual also ... So Idk :(

Im sorry this happened! You should check your water again in the morning as you did a water change last night & this morning so these present readings may not be telling the whole story. Im also glad you properly acclimated them, so this wasnt an issue either. Im would watch your fish carefully for any signs of illness for right now & keep a close eye on your water parameters. Unfortunately, poor stock or an unknown illness is the most likely possibility here.

Having 3 filters is great but your bacteria only grow to the capacity of the bioload you are carrying- before adding new fish, there was sufficient bb to handle your tanks bioload & thats it. Now, your bb will increase with the increased bioload & adjust accordingly. Just monitor your water & do water changes as needed & you will be fine! :)

The few times I have attempted Neons or Cardinals I have bought 15 at a time and I was lucky to end up with 3-4 that made it. IME they are super touchy and hard to keep, specially if you're tank isn't fully cycled.

jlk said:
Im sorry this happened! You should check your water again in the morning as you did a water change last night & this morning so these present readings may not be telling the whole story. Im also glad you properly acclimated them, so this wasnt an issue either. Im would watch your fish carefully for any signs of illness for right now & keep a close eye on your water parameters. Unfortunately, poor stock or an unknown illness is the most likely possibility here.

Having 3 filters is great but your bacteria only grow to the capacity of the bioload you are carrying- before adding new fish, there was sufficient bb to handle your tanks bioload & thats it. Now, your bb will increase with the increased bioload & adjust accordingly. Just monitor your water & do water changes as needed & you will be fine! :)

Thanks for input :) I'm watching them like a hawk lol and I'm going to test later today also and pwc as needed .

skywhitney said:
The few times I have attempted Neons or Cardinals I have bought 15 at a time and I was lucky to end up with 3-4 that made it. IME they are super touchy and hard to keep, specially if you're tank isn't fully cycled.

These fish are so pretty I love them schooling . I'm so disappointed in having such a rough go at this ... I've been waiting to get these little guys for a while now :(

boadams87 said:
If ur nitrates are 0 it looks like ur not cycled!

No , I am cycled . I've had this tank for more than a year .
I have like plants and also I'm religious about PWCS every Sunday . My grates are always low or 0 . Plus I just did 2 big PWCS in the last 24 hrs due to fish dying

Back
Top Bottom