New tank/Fish issue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dav3y

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, ive had my aquarium for about a year and abit now and have just decided to get a bigger one. Waters been init now for more then 24hrs with filter etc running its had drops put in the water etc also. What my question is...I bought two gouramis about 3 days ago and put them in my old tank with the neons, ive just come home from work and one of them has died, and the other one was just next to it. Now the other one is looking kinda funny keeps going sideways and its colour has faded. Any idea what I can do? Is it to early to put all my fish in the new tank as i dont want to lose anymore of them.

Cheers Dave

How did you aclimate the new gouramis?

As far as the new tank, it needs to be cycled, many use the fishless cycle. Adding filter media from your old tank will speed up the process

Stress is a big killer of new fish. Acclimation is a good way of helping reduce that stress, so Speed's question remains... Did you at least float the bag in the tank water before netting them out of the bag and puting them in the tank? Some people prefer the drip method, adding water slowly to the water from new fish's bag over the course of a couple of hours.

The new tank will need to be cycled, but if you are shutting down the old tank and completely moving over to the new one, you could just move the filter from the old tank to the new one, and it would act almost like an instant cycle. Be sure to use a good dechlorinator in all water (Prime is a preferred product). Do you have a test kit? Avoid the test strips, and be sure to use a liquid reagent test kit, like API's Master Test Kit.

If you are not completely shutting down the old tank, I would suggest taking some of the filter media from the old tank and puting it directly in the filter of the new tank (it doesn't have to fit nicely, just cram it in there) until you can be sure that the ammonia and Nitrite levels are down to zero. This may take a day or two of testing the water to make sure.

There is always the chance that you got sick fish too. Try to avoid adding additional stress to the fish if you can. If they appear stressed, don't move them to the new tank, as this can push them over the edge.

Welcome to AA! In addition to the questions and advice the other has asked and stated, it is possible the gourami's were sick from the lfs. I've personally had no luck with gourami's myself, they seem to be prone to columnaris and other bacterial infections.

Is the gourami bloated at all, and are the scales sticking out away from the body?

Moved to unhealthy fish forum.

Back
Top Bottom