Nipping or fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I noticed today that my one cory had a weird looking flatworm on one of her fins. I went to scoop her out to remove it when it decided to fall off and I haven't seen it since.
In the meantime I noticed she was still having trouble swimming even without it on her fin. That's when I really noticed that the bottom of her tail fin was white and rounded instead of pointed like the other corys. Her pectoral fins were also almost nubs. I haven't noticed this earlier because they hide most of the day in the plants and /i feed them with the lights off.

Sorry for the blurry pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5988.jpg
    IMG_5988.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5987.jpg
    IMG_5987.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 69
The white growth on the fins is likely a fungus that has attached itself to dead or damaged tissue. It's difficult to determine what caused the damage, but the treatment is the same; clean water, good nutrition and Melafix, if you choose to medicate.

I second V......I'd medicate for fungus based off those pics. Is it starting to get a fuzzy look to the white parts of the fins?

No, it doesn't look fuzzy. That's why I didn't consider fungus until you guys mentioned it. I'll treat the tank. Thankfully it's too bad and she is still active.

Thanks

Bacterial fin rot will start out white at the edges of the fins and continue to get shorter and shorter.

So I should medicate for fin rot/bacterial infection and not a fungal infection right?

I would start with the bacterial fin rot meds and see if it gets better. If it develops into fuzzy white edges or even spreads to the body then I'd say it's more than likely fungal.

If you want to try aquarium salt before medication it usually works well at the beginning stages of fin rot. Add 1 TEAspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. After a few days up the dosage to 2 TEAspoons of A.S. per 5g of water. Keep the water pristine which also helps.

So i'm medicating the tank. I know I have to take the carbon filter out, can I use a sponge in there instead so that there is at least something filtering?

And of course water changes as usual? Sorry i've never had to medicate a tank before.

Yes. Then medicate the tank proportionate to the amount of water you took out.

Back
Top Bottom