Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leahtony91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, My tank has to much Nitrate it blood red. Been to pet barn and they said change 30% Tank/tap water, so did. Then put in tap water conditioner 12ml they said. Well hr later no change so I put in another 10 ml, 2 hr later no change,so put in another 10 ml. What am I doing wrong. I don't want my poor Wilso (Red devil) to die. He only 2. :(. Leah

Do another water change, can do them every couple hours when water quality is bad. What water conditioner are you using. After your water change adding more than the recommended dose probably does little for your fish.
The best thing for the fish is clean water.

To late, he passed not long ago. Rip my Wilson ������������

Do you mean I should change water weekly all the time? Even when my levels are good

The only way to remove Nitrates effectively is water changes. They will just build and build. 50% once/week is minimum IMO. I do a 50% every Sunday, and a 30% or so midweek. Keeps my nitrates at 20-40ppm tops, usually sub 20ppm.

Water changes are a must. Period. Depending on the bioload in the tank it can differ as to the frequency, but don't forget that the live in the water 24/7. Keep it clean for the fishes

Thank you for the advise. I was checking water fortnightly and all the levels seemed fine. Only changing water when doing filter every few months big filter,they recommended only change filter twice a year. Wilson was nearly 3, thought I was doing the right thing. He was my first fish.

Okay you probably over dosed the conditioner, nitrates aren't going to kill your fish, nitrates do affect the immune system so they have trouble fighting off illnesses, for future reference 50% weekly is over kill, you added 32 ml of conditioner which yes you can over dose , he probably had something else wrong, what type filter do you have, what type substrate, what size tank, also for future reference don't fret over nitrates unless above in my personal opinion 60 as water changes and filter maintenence will lower them, BTW find a new lfs, water conditioner really doesn't do anything with nitrates... Red devils need a huge tank as they get very big, and they also prefer heavy current.

30% water charges every week, if filtration isn't up to par upgrade, when doing water changes do a deep gravel vac to remove waste, condition the water with prime water conditioner as that's the only one I would recommend, I see no one asked tank size, filter, what ammonia and nitrite were, if there was any outwards signs of illnesses, a lot of things were missed on this topic so I'll ask you even though he's already gone

What were your whole readings
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph
Water temp
Tank size
Filtration (brand/type of filter)
Were there any signs of illness
If you want to do 50% weekly break it up into 2 25% changes
How do you do your pwc , with a bucket and siphon or a python that you hook up to your faucet.

Here's an example In my 55 gallon, I have 14 (soon to be 22) fish, 2 aqua clear 110's, lightly planted, I do roughly 15-18 gallon water changes a week which comes out to be 30-32%, keep in mind I also dose fertilizers for the plants, another thing I've went 2 weeks without changing water trying an experiment with the plants and still have the same exact readings except nitrate might be a little higher about 30

Ammonia absolute 0
Nitrite absolute 0
ph 7.5-7.6
Nitrate 22-25

My plants aren't nitrate hogs either just swords, anubias, sagitaria
But everyones tank is different I have plants you don't, I have 15x turnover rate for filtration still waiting on what type of brand filter you have and what type, so here's my point just because my readings are perfect doing 30% dont mean yours would, if you can provide the things I mentioned, members here at AA will be able to help better for future Stocking or help

6a251e4537780d12f5cdc127dd44ee9a.jpg
55cf628664d9cfd2bd3339b9704ba46f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom