one-eyed Black Moor eye injury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momofasher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The gate came off the bottom of my water circulating pump and ended up catching my big black moor one and only eye. I was devastated to find him like that! Since then, I have placed him in a 10 gal hospital tank and treated him with Melafix for a week. I guess he looks a little better. The man from the fish store advised I raise the water temp to about 80-82 and only use aquarium salt, which is what I am doing now. I just don't know if it's enough. I bought some Maracyn Two, but he advise I just try the salt first. it's only been two days. I'm having trouble being patient in fear of not doing enough. Please advise if you can. Thank you.

His eye was caught just underneath the lens. Yes there is damage and he may end up completely blind now, although I hope not. Right now I'm pretty sure he cannot see out of it because it's clouded up. I could post a pic if I knew how. Thanks.

Ok, I think you are doing all you can.
How much salt were you advised? Around 1/2 ounce for every 4 gallons is the level needed to help the fish maintain normal osmoregulatory function and therefore reduce stress.

Yes, I used 2 Tablespoons in the 10 gal tank. So you don't think I use the Maracyn Two either? Thank you!!

Welcome to AA!!

All your moor needs is lots of healthy water. You actually do not need meds or even salt. Big water changes daily to maintain the parameters at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and less than 5ppm nitrate. Fish have amazing capabilities to heal themselves from much more serious injuries with nothing special other than pristine water conditions and a nutritious diet.

If the cornea is very damaged, he will likely be sight impaired permanently but this will not affect his quantity or quality of life. He will adapt quite quickly but just make sure his tank is free from anything pointed, sharp or enclosed as his perception will not be the same and he will be more prone to injury. Please ask if you have any questions!

I cannot thank you enough!! I'm so bummed about his injury, but I really hope he heals up okay. This really gives me hope. I have been working hard at trying to keep the tank super clean and giving him TLC. I love this big guy. Thanks again for caring! I do have one more question. What should I be feeding him other than goldfish flakes or pellets? Or is that enough? Thank you so much!!

Do not worry too much! Just keep up the good work on taking care of him! I love my moors and telescopes and I have had my share of some pretty horrific eye injuries! If anything is of a concern, just let us know!

In respect to foods, Hikari Saki or Lionhead, NLS, and ProGold have quality sinking pellets for goldies. Gelfoods are another great option. Daily veggies are a welcome and healthy addition. Some fresh proteins can be substituted for meals in general and will help to promote healing. Examples such as defrosted bloodworms or brine shrimp, earthworms/soft bugs (if your not squeamish), human grade shrimp/fish, etc. hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Helps so much...Thank you, thank you, thank you!! You are an angel! :flowers: God bless you.

Yes, I used 2 Tablespoons in the 10 gal tank. So you don't think I use the Maracyn Two either? Thank you!!

The salt is fine - you don't have to use it, but it can be beneficial. It is used often in the aquatic and aquaculture trades to help alleviate the effects of stress. The Maracyn is an antibiotic and shouldn't be used unless necessary, in the case of bacterial infection for instance. Antibiotics can have an adverse effect on the beneficial filter bacteria.

Even if your fish were to lose this second eye (hopefully he won't), he will be perfectly able to lead a normal life and will find his way around using the lateral line system and his olfactory senses to find food.

Back
Top Bottom