One eyed fishy still needs HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maco5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Black Moor with one eye

I bought a black moor yesterday.
I am a sucker for the disabled fishies!
My other goldie also has one eye.

The problem is the moor seemed as if it was going to die last night.
It would float at the top and do nothing.
I was pretty sure this morning he would be dead.
Luckily he made it!
he was still floating, and I nudged him with the net, and now he is swimming around although he is lopsided.

Is it possible that the loss of the one eye will make him swim all funky?
has anyone had experience with this?
Why would he float around and now seems to be OK?

:roll:

The lkoss of his ey may have been cause by some serious problem with his water earlier...it also can open the way to some serious bacteria to set up housekeeping.

What temp are you golds at? they are hardier at cooler temps. And it makes it more useful for heat treatments since 86 is about the top for them.
Sounds like the swimbladder i
Swimbladder disorders are very common with fancies, especially if they have suffered any trauma or stress.
About 1Tbl /5gal
Be sure that it is Epsom salts. Fish actually have a hard time getting rid of salts.
The epsom salts, on the other hand, definitely pulls water out (like out of the surrounding tissue into the gut when used as a laxative.)
Hopefuly it isn't a symptom of a severe case of popeye or some of the gold specific ickkys out there....

Do they look swollen when they have swim bladder problems?
This fish looks OK other than missing the eye.
My other one that also has one eye missing is doing realy well!

The LFS guy said sometimes they lose an eye while at the wholesalers.
I have no idea if this is true or not, but I watched this fish for quite awhile before I got him and he seemed to be OK or I wouldn't have brought him home.
I may regret it I guess.

So I should add some salt?
Is kosher salt OK to add and how much?

The temp lingers around 68 degrees.

my other post is "black moor with one eye" but I only got a couple of responses.

This poor fish is hanging on for dear life!
He does swim around, but yet he tips over onto the side that has an eye.
So my question to all of you is::
is it possible that the loss of his eye on the one side is causing him to swim lopsided?

If i nudge him he starts to swim around, and even blows little bubbles at the top, and eats.
Someone suggested that he might have swim bladder..
I am not sure of the symptoms of that so I can't say for sure.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Other post:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=24460
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? What size tank is this? How often are you changing the water?
These links describe various diseases--take a look and see if anything looks like what your goldie has:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
http://www.aqualink.com/disease/sdisease.html#ich
http://fish.mongabay.com/diseases.htm
http://www.everythingfishy.com/med_info.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AqBizSubWebIndex/fishdisho.htm
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/health.htm

Okay good cool temps..raise teh temp to a warm 80..no on kosher salt..though golds usually enjoy some salt, we want to draw out the swelling without putting osmotic pressure on your pal, that is why I suggested Epsom.
And add an anti- bacterial to nip a potential dropsy bout in the bud. Swelling after swimbaldder is often first stage of dropsy. and fancy golds are susceptible to that too.

(sorry my post got chopped up)
And I sure wouldn't use a wholesaler that sends me damaged animals...!
Maybe in crowded conditions or mixed with other golds they may lose and eye to a faster fish...but still..come on!

And as a shop I sure wouldn't offer the animal up for sale (or if I did ..at considerable discount with instructions). Sounds awfully shadey...
Golds most often lose eyes through water prompted disease...and then comes because other golds and fish, then from enviroment trama(ie decorations)

Why did you start another thread..now this needs to be combined.. :|

AS mentioned in OTHER post only yesterday; fish was already damaged on purchase (a fish samaritan) as is the other.

Maco..they reason you didn't get a lot of answers is that not many here keep goldfish or koi ..and those that do come on at odd times.. you didn't give anyone a chance to answer.
If you are really thinking it is serious..and are going to keep rescuing golds you need to ALSO frequent a gold only site...a well established site like Kokosgoldfishworld. This site is THE best..(no kddg) but the members lean towards tropicals and salts. Not as many keep coldwater fish like golds, killies and such.
So you have to wait until thgat small percentage comes in and posts

I am sorry if I upset anyone by posting a second thread.
I was just frustrated and wanted someone to talk to about it!

I am not in the habit of rescueing injured fish, but I felt so bad for this little fishy.
Maybe because I do animal rescue if seems normal to want to do that.

I have a tropical tank also but have no problems with it. :D

Again, I am sorry for being impatient. :oops:

The fishy seems to be doing better by the way, and THANKYOU to all who responded to BOTH my posts. :?

I am sorry if I upset anyone by posting a second thread.
I was just frustrated and wanted someone to talk to about it!
No ones upset--I would merge the two if I could figure it out :roll:
When you need more help, bump the thread to the top, or PM someone who seems to know what they're talking about :wink:.

Yikes..that merge sure turned out weird.... :lol:
No upset..just makes it where you have to repeat your info over and over.
Keep gping with youre fish..keep the water EXTRA pure dn clean through frequent changes when there are open wounds....
if lucky all you will see is slime over the wounds and no fuzzy or blackening.

Thanks Menagerie and Christmas fish!
I got carried away thinking the fish was going to croak and wanted to hear someone tell me he wouldn't!

Anyway, so here it is day 3 1/2, and he is still here!
I have named him "Sammy".
Other than the hole where his eye used to be, there are no wounds of any type, or anything funky.
He is swimming around alot more yesterday and this morning.

I know when we have had dogs that have had recent blindness it takes them awhile to realize they will be OK.
Maybe the same thing happened to Sammy...now that he knows noone will hurt him, he feels more comfortable venturing out.

I tested the water, and everything is reading perfect!
It is time for the water change, but I wonder if I should wait a few more days since I added Sammy......any ideas?

I will take a picture later and post in my gallery so all of you can see him and his buddy the other one eyed fish!
The other funny thing is that Sammy sticks real close to Wanda when swimming.
It is cute to watch them!

THANK YOU everyone for all the help and for being patient with me! 8O

Back
Top Bottom