open wound on paradise fish HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverDragon

Aquarium Advice Regular
My female ( I think) Paradise Gourami has an open wound on the top of her body in the middle of her dorsal fin.... its getting bigger by the day, pieces of flesh have fallen off, and now it looks red and deep.

She hides most of the time (in the 29 gallon community tank), but will come out to eat and get gulps of air. She looks to be in pain, I feel so bad.

I have treated with Melafix, that didnt work. Now Im treating with Pimafix... that doesnt seem to be working either... the wound just keeps getting bigger. I put her in a QT tonight because the Pimafix seems to be stressing out my guppies. She isnt and never has been picked on by the other fish so I have no idea where the injury came from.

Is there something else I can treat her with? I feel like Im just watching her die and cant do anything about it. Please... any suggestions would be helpful before its too late.

Thanks

What were the parameters of the main tank? Did the fish get attacked do you think or caught on a decoration? The reason I ask if that if it is an injury it can be treated differently than if it is a bacterial problem causing the sore.

Does the rim of the patch look bloody? Is it just one spot?

Maracyn and Maracyn-Two should probably be used if there is a bacterial infection.

I had this exact problem with a female paradise fish I had about a year ago or so. I don't what started it and nothing seemed to fix it. I put her in a QT, but that didn't seem to be helping. She finally passed, but I'm pretty sure that was my fault. I forgot to plug the heater in after a PWC one evening. I felt horrible about that. I hope you have luck with your's.

Back
Top Bottom