Painted platy - is this ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prestoconfuoco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

My painted platy seems to be suffering from ich, but I just want to make sure that's what it is.

PlqBQJQ.jpg

dXRai8s.jpg

Here is a brief video as well if that helps

I did recently get new fish, and I know ich tends to pop up when new acquisitions happen (but I don't know any more than that) -- it's important to note the painted platy isn't one of the new fish, and as far as I can tell this is the only affected fish.

I have been treating the tank with API super ick cure, but I messed up the first dose because I didn't realize my filters had activated carbon in them (duh) so I think a lot of that probably got absorbed before the filter took it out. Just to be safe, I waited the 48hrs before re-dosing (which I did just a few hours ago, no filter this time).

This fish doesn't seem to have improved at all since that first dose -- but again, I think most of it got absorbed, so that makes sense.

She has been twitching a lot and seems very uncomfortable. I hope this is ich and the medicine kicks in soon. Just because I'm super paranoid, I also turned off the light because I read that if a fish does have velvet (which I don't have supplies for on hand) turning the light off can help.

Thanks for your help

This does appear to be stereotypical ich. Please keep in mind that in addition to ich cure, you should be using aquarium salt. (Of course be mindful if you have invertebrates or other salt sensitive fish.) Ich has a life cycle of attaching to a fish, falling off into the gravel to breed, then reattaching to a fish. Ich medication cures the fish, salt helps the tank/gravel to stop the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom