Panda Cory died, internal bleeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The Panda Cories were fine yesterday. But when I came home today, one of the Panda Cory died suddenly. It looks like there is a lot of bleeding inside one side of the belly. There is no visible external injury. I did not notice the faint white line until the picture is taken. Do you think the white line has anything to do with the bleeding? I cannot figure out what caused the bleeding. Three Harlequin and one other Panda is still healthy. Below are the pictures of the Panda that died. Can anyone tell what killed the fish? The size of my tank is 10g.

panda1.jpg

panda2.jpg

Near impossible to say what killed him. I went thru something similar with a schistura a few weeks ago; was fine in the afternoon, went out for dinner and was dead by the time we got home. We still don't know the cause, although I suspect injury as all the other fish in the tank remain healthy.

How long was he dead? Was he lying on that side in the tank? I ask, because I noticed my schistura had some red areas, but they were on the side that was down, and I figured they were probably where the blood settled after it died.

Its also possible its an injury, especially if the cory had no signs of illness prior. He may have gotten himself stuck in something, and hurt himself trying to get out. One of the other fish may have done it (although if its just harlequins and the corys I sorta doubt it; is there any other fish in the tank?).

Do keep a close eye on your other fish in case its NOT injury. There are some diseases which are extremely virulent and can kill in 24 hours; is why I kept a close eye on MY guys when that fish died suddenly.

So sorry for your loss, kiki. We've all lost fish; I guess it's a risk you take with this hobby. That poor little cory--hopefully he wasn't in pain for long :cry:

Oh, kiki. I'm so sorry. After having lost many tetra about four/five weeks ago, I can sympathize when an owner loses fish and doesn't know why! Though mine wasn't as mysterious as yours. I hope it was just an isolated incident, and I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom