pH Lower safely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My pH is unnaturally high... How can i lower it back to 7-7.2? I have pH down that i havent used in years, cuzz i dont trust chemicals. Should i add it or is there something else?

You can use Driftwood and or peat ... just note it'll release tannins so your water will look tea colored. Where is your pH currently? Chances are any fish in your tank have well acclimated to your pH level ... so there may not need to be a reason to lower it.

Avoid using chemicals ... I've read it can cause pH swings.

pH Question

Good morning Mr. W...

I don't worry about pH. Unless you have a city water problem, very unlikely, your tap water is fine for most tropical fish. They prefer alkaline water and aren't affected by the pH as long as it stays constant.

I wouldn't try to adust it, because you may cause the level to suddenly swing one way or the other.

If you want to make the water more alkaline naturally, then put some driftwood into the tank. But, don't use the stuff from the LFS, you don't really know what's in that wood.

I always get pieces from the local river bed areas. They're much nicer than anything you'll get in the store and the price is right. These natural pieces won't affect the water color. Use common sense when collecting and always obey the local laws!

B

By unnaturally high, i mean at 7.8, when its normally 7-7.2. i had a fish die earlier today, and pH is the only thing out of whack.

Back
Top Bottom