Pictus Catfish sick and swimming in circles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JZeigler_00

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I work at Petsmart and we had a pictus catfish in the store that was sick and swimming in circles. I took it home and right now I have it in my 10 gallon hospital tank to see if I can help it be more healthy before putting it in my 45 gallon.

I have added aquarium salt and Stress Coat to my tank already.

If anyone has any more ideas of how to help they would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

p.s. after I typed this I checked on it again and now it is just laying on the bottom but its still breathing.

He is mostly not moving but every once in awhile he will move around but he looks like he is off balance or something.

Not sure why he was going in circles then decided to stop doing it. How long was he in the tank at PetSmart?

He might have been stressed from the trip. I've had fish act bizarre after bringing them home. Until something else develops or if he gets worse, I'd keep his water very clean. Frequent water changes. Give him a cave or something to hide under as pictus prefer that and keep the lights on for only 5 or 6 hours a day. If you have good room light where he's at I wouldn't turn on the tank lights at all except to look at him for signs of illness. This will relax him and acclimate him to his tank.

Thank you so much for your help! I will do a water change right now. He looks more active now then he was last night but he still is just swimming funky.

Thanks again!

Considering the Pictus Cat was just freshly imported from a fish farm, the described erratic swimming behavior might be a symptom of "Whirling disease" a parasite infection occasionally contracted from eating Tubiflex Worms.
I believe treatment is the standard meds for any intestinal parasite infection.

I just checked on him again and he was swimming more towards the top this time and it looks like his stomach is bloated to i’m guessing it could be swim bladder disease. I am going to try to feed him a pea to see if that helps.

Should I put him into a bowl or cup to help him eat it or just put it into the tank and see if he eats it?

I'm thinking like V227 now. He might very well be full of parasites. I would medicate him for parasites.

Okay ill definitely try that!
Thank you guys for your help!

Hopefully i can help him out!

Unfortunately he didn't make it. He was starting to look better and was moving around more smoothly. I tried the general cure and I gave him the second dose earlier today.

Maybe he was just too sick

Thanks again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom