Platy fry LAYING DOWN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you have seen my threads on "Trixie" my female platy that died this last week...

First I want to say I have a very healthy spunky fry who has grown to 1/4" and is in my 20g tank with Molly juvies and two adult platies... He or she is GREAT!

I have 6 other of Trixie's fry who are growing at a minuscule rate... They have been in a heated and filtered 10g by themselves and are still very tiny... About 3 of them are semi active swimming around the tank and always come to eat immediately upon feeding.
The other 3 lay on the bottom virtually unmoving until I move something by them.

It's a barebottom tank with about a dozen 1.5" round rocks for them, a couple fake plants and sponge over intake tube on filter...
I change 25% of the water every other day and suck up anything left behind on the bottom...

Their mother Trixie died this week mysteriously. She gave birth on Jan 1st and Jan 31st... After last birthing she went into hiding, quit eating and became emaciated over that time... Her last week was spent lying on her side doing nothing but breathing at various rates... I wound up euthanizing her.
These few fry are acting the same way... I just moved them to a 1g container with a plant and heater while I decide what to do... Should the 3 listless ones be culled?

Here are pics...

View attachment 85482

View attachment 85483

Starka said:
Aww not again :(
I hope these guys will make it.

Yea... They sure don't look 8 wks old, do they??!! They're the size of newborn Molly fry.
I don't want them to suffer ...

Oh and I just noticed two of the weaker ones have pointy tails...

Do you think it would be better to get a breeder box and put them in it or just release them in my 20g? Or cull the 3 weak ones and put stronger ones in breeder box/release in 20g?

Ya they are rather small, they look just like her when she was havin trouble too. I wonder what it could be?

sorry about your little guys - they don't look good at all. I think I would just say they are not good stock. I don't think you want to share whatever they could possibly have with the other guys. you could leave them by themselves for a little longer, but after this long I don't think it looks promising. and if they did pull through I don't think you would really be doing them any favors. just think - if you were doing survival of the fittest in there they would already be gone. there is a reason for that - the strong ones are the ones you want to make more of... not the weak one. I think i would put them out of their suffering... just a thought.

now the healthy guy looks great! so cute!!

HeatherW said:
sorry about your little guys - they don't look good at all. I think I would just say they are not good stock. I don't think you want to share whatever they could possibly have with the other guys. you could leave them by themselves for a little longer, but after this long I don't think it looks promising. and if they did pull through I don't think you would really be doing them any favors. just think - if you were doing survival of the fittest in there they would already be gone. there is a reason for that - the strong ones are the ones you want to make more of... not the weak one. I think i would put them out of their suffering... just a thought.

now the healthy guy looks great! so cute!!

Ya I'll agree with that :(

ocminpin said:
Some of you have seen my threads on "Trixie" my female platy that died this last week...

First I want to say I have a very healthy spunky fry who has grown to 1/4" and is in my 20g tank with Molly juvies and two adult platies... He or she is GREAT!

I have 6 other of Trixie's fry who are growing at a minuscule rate... They have been in a heated and filtered 10g by themselves and are still very tiny... About 3 of them are semi active swimming around the tank and always come to eat immediately upon feeding.
The other 3 lay on the bottom virtually unmoving until I move something by them.

It's a barebottom tank with about a dozen 1.5" round rocks for them, a couple fake plants and sponge over intake tube on filter...
I change 25% of the water every other day and suck up anything left behind on the bottom...

Their mother Trixie died this week mysteriously. She gave birth on Jan 1st and Jan 31st... After last birthing she went into hiding, quit eating and became emaciated over that time... Her last week was spent lying on her side doing nothing but breathing at various rates... I wound up euthanizing her.
These few fry are acting the same way... I just moved them to a 1g container with a plant and heater while I decide what to do... Should the 3 listless ones be culled?

Here are pics...

I'm no expert on live bearers but the one doesn't look good. I know they like plants, and can gain some nutrients from them. Do you check your parameters daily?

MABJ said:
I'm no expert on live bearers but the one doesn't look good. I know they like plants, and can gain some nutrients from them. Do you check your parameters daily?

They have been a steady 7.4, 0, 0, 10
API Master Liquid

Wow they look good, as others said, bad stock... Inbreeding causes this a lot. Better luck with the next batch :|

MABJ said:
Wow they look good, as others said, bad stock... Inbreeding causes this a lot. Better luck with the next batch :|

Will be different mother because these babies mom died a week ago... Although her replacement came from same store... We'll see!

Back
Top Bottom