Platy with a paralyzed fin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpaparelli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my pregnant female Platies' fins has become paralyzed. The area where her fin meets her body is red, almost like a bruise. I just picked up this bunch two days ago. She is eating like a horse, and is swimming fine...

normal:
img_979362_0_ead464a4fe4fd7b7c781aaa7eab09539.jpg

"bruised" (?) side:

img_979362_1_bdbcf0e1ade74495b768d0b12f42ac11.jpg

It may be an injury, since she is new to your tank, watch her carefully to make sure it isn't bacterial or becomes infected.

That's what I'm hoping for. I've been checking up fairly constantly since I noticed it, and it's only seeming to grow larger. What does an infected "wound" (?) look like?

It gets fuzzy kinda cottony. When a fish is new and has something like that it is hard to know the same as if the fish had been with you for a few months.

No, it's not so much infected then (yet), but the redness is starting to spread to her fin, which is becoming really clamped, and sticking out straight...

So I checked on her today, and the fin is almost completely gone. The area around it is swollen and red, and the fin itself (what's left of it) is frayed and looking really terrible... What do I do??

So I checked on her today, and the fin is almost completely gone. The area around it is swollen and red, and the fin itself (what's left of it) is frayed and looking really terrible... What do I do??
Sounds like fin rot to me, had a platy go through it the other day (from the LPS but the dangers of sending my brother to pick up the fish was he didn't notice the fraying fin). I suggest you pick up melafix or the likes.

Back
Top Bottom