Please help... My Elodea keeps dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gerard07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to to this forum, and have found heaps of great info from alot of very informed people. After thorough investigation on a number of sites, I still can't find an answer to my problem. I have a 360 litre (approx 90 gal) tank with varied Australian natives, the ph averages around neutral and the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at appropriate levels. I am running 2 4ft lights at 40 watts each. My problem is with the Elodea plant... all other plants seem to do alright, but Elodea only ever last about 2 or 3 days before it loses it's green colour, turns brownish, and the leaves begin to fall off, causing a huge mess and clogging the canister filter. Can anyone offer any advice as to what might be the problem... I have tried fertilisers, but they appear to do nothing...could it be a CO2 problem?

Thanks in advance. It's great to find a forum like this with great friendly contributors and experts. Keep it up!

My initial thought would be that you do not have enough light. Less than one watt per gallon. I would add one more 40 watt fixture and your low light plants should thrive.

I agree with rich...you only have 80 watts for your 90 gal tank, which is leaving you seriously lower than the recommended 1 wpg.

There are other issues to consider as well:

1. What are your exact parameters for NO3, ph and dkh?
2. What type of substrate are you using?
3. Do you currently have an algae problem as well?

Anacharis should grow well in low light.

My anarchis grows fantastically in my tank with 2/3 watt per gallon. (Somewhat dreading what it will do when I get my new 65watt PC, I'm gonna be pruning all the time.)

Along with the light, I would be looking at the water parameters and potential mineral supplementation...anacharis is a fair calcium-hog, and will usually do poorly in softer water with less dissolved mineral content.

Back
Top Bottom