Pleco losing color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased either a common or sailfin pleco about 2 weeks ago. I do have some algae in the tank, but it is nowhere close to being out of control. I drop a pellet or two of algae wafers in the tank every night when I feed the other fish before I go to bed. Tonight was the first time I've ever seen him actually go after it. The problem is that the other fish seem to enjoy it as well. They literally go crazy over it. Poor guy really didn't stand a chance. He nibbled at it and fought for a bit, but I think it finally got too much for him and he swam away.

I noticed that he's also a lot paler than when I got him. I know this is never a good sign. Is there anything I can do to help this poor guy? Tips on making sure he is getting enough food? Other fish don't pick on him as far as I know.

he could be stressed, but the fact he sint able to get the food is a big factor.
what i do with my pleco is he has his own cave that the fish cant get to, and i hand deliver food into the cave. maybe try this? x

thedavinator said:
I purchased either a common or sailfin pleco about 2 weeks ago. I do have some algae in the tank, but it is nowhere close to being out of control. I drop a pellet or two of algae wafers in the tank every night when I feed the other fish before I go to bed. Tonight was the first time I've ever seen him actually go after it. The problem is that the other fish seem to enjoy it as well. They literally go crazy over it. Poor guy really didn't stand a chance. He nibbled at it and fought for a bit, but I think it finally got too much for him and he swam away.

I noticed that he's also a lot paler than when I got him. I know this is never a good sign. Is there anything I can do to help this poor guy? Tips on making sure he is getting enough food? Other fish don't pick on him as far as I know.

Feed after dark and lights out. Pleco are nocturnal and generally don't eat in light, least of all fight for food. And the other fish won't eat at night in dark, they will generally rest. Wait till lights out and its dark, even just before you go to bed, its hard to monitor but you should see a change.

Also, I think 2 per night is a bit excessive. I had a 6 inch ish sailfin and one wafer every other day was fine.

My sailfin pales when bored. Does he have driftwood and hiding spots to keep him active and content?

Yeah, I usually feed right before lights out. Maybe I'll wait until after I turn the lights off. I know 2 wafers is a bit much, but the other fish love them too so I wanted to make sure I had a little extra. He has a few hiding spots. Not many. I see him hiding in the conch shell I have a lot. I'm going to look for some driftwood later this week. I know it's important that they have some. I guess that could also be partially causing it.

Yeah, I usually feed right before lights out. Maybe I'll wait until after I turn the lights off. I know 2 wafers is a bit much, but the other fish love them too so I wanted to make sure I had a little extra. He has a few hiding spots. Not many. I see him hiding in the conch shell I have a lot. I'm going to look for some driftwood later this week. I know it's important that they have some. I guess that could also be partially causing it.

go out and buy a courgette (or zuccini if your american), slice it and blanche it (boil water, drop it in for about 2/3minutes, then dunk in cold water). they love the greens in their diet. just drop it in instead of a algae wafer. some larger pleco will also eat prawns as a treat.

i fed mine corgette, cucumber and letuce. loved it.

the other thing is, i don't believe sailfin require driftwood. their are only certain families of pleco (bristlenose, clown etc) that need the wood.

I did a lot of research on pleco a couple months ago as I got miss-sold a sailfin for a 15G (lol)

I realise now the original post was about the color, it's normally a sign of stress, but it may mean that it was stressed when you put him in and now you are seeing the natural colors. the following link will give you a great insight into this, as well as anything else you may have missed.

Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog

P.S. sailfins are stunning, greeat choice. it was a sad day when mine had to go.

sorry forgot this bit :)

you could also try growing algae.

get a large bowl, fill it with tank water when you do a water change, put 2 or 3 decent rocks in it (tank safe ones) and put it in the sun inside somewhere. the algae will grow in no time. then simply put one of the rocks in with the sailfin, when it has been cleaned up change it for one of the other rocks and the rotation means you always have food.

all you have to do, is once you have an algae growth, change the water when you do a PWC with more old tank water, this will keep the nitrates high and help your algae along.

the pleco can help itself whenever its hungry. and because of the rotation the other fish can eat away it doesnt matter.

hope this helps, sorry its so long.

Back
Top Bottom