Pop eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My new firemouth I bought from the store has pop eye... So I don't know the cause. What should I do to make it better ?

The only quarantine tank I have is a 2 gallon. Should I keep him in there or put him with the other fish? I treated with some melafix in the 2 gallon he is in now. I just don't know if it's too small... He is little over quarter size

Anyone? I wanna put him in the big tank.. I just feel bad for him :(

I think that if you catch it in time, it clears up most of the time. :)

I didn't notice it till after I brought the fish home. So I know it came from their water being bad quality, not mine. Hopefully he can get better with my water and some melafix :)

I didn't notice it till after I brought the fish home. So I know it came from their water being bad quality, not mine. Hopefully he can get better with my water and some melafix :)
as I'm sure you know pop eye is caused by prolonged exposure to bad water, I'm this case it came from the supplier. It clears up on its own generally within about a month. Just keep his tank nice and clean! Hope he gets better!

Pop eye can be caused by afew things, bacterial infections, parasites, eye trauma (usually in one eye) and also bad water.

Any heavy breathing going on?

You can add aquarium salt but it wont cure the cause of the pop eye. If you cant diagnose it and it doesnt clear up with clean water or it gets worse i would start by treating with an anti bacterial med as soon as you can.

*edit* yep like melafix!

Pop eye can be caused by afew things, bacterial infections, parasites, eye trauma (usually in one eye) and also bad water. Any heavy breathing going on? You can add aquarium salt but it wont cure the cause of the pop eye. If you cant diagnose it and it doesnt clear up with clean water or it gets worse i would start by treating with an anti bacterial med as soon as you can. *edit* yep like melafix!

Nope no heavy breathing! He hides in his cave mostly. Once he sees me he darts in there. I haven't seen him eat yet. He is still not use to me

Well his eye seems to be getting better however now there is what looks like dead skin coming off of him... Now what's up? :(

Pics ......

Attachments

• image-4063476383.jpg
    image-4063476383.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2094727661.jpg
    image-2094727661.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 67
Ah! Poor guy! It looks like he has ich. Melafix won't cure ich, so you will have to go to your LFS and get some ich medication. You will also want to raise the temperature very slowly to no higher than 86 degrees F. Raise it only a degree every few hours. Raising the temp will help cure the ich faster by speeding up the life cycle of the ich.

Ah! Poor guy! It looks like he has ich. Melafix won't cure ich, so you will have to go to your LFS and get some ich medication. You will also want to raise the temperature very slowly to no higher than 86 degrees F. Raise it only a degree every few hours. Raising the temp will help cure the ich faster by speeding up the life cycle of the ich.

Oh no that's not ich! Haha. Those are marks on the glass and air bubbles XD

Oh gosh!! I was thinking that the poor guy had ich really bad! Oops! Sorry about that! :whistle:

Haha you scared me at first! But no... However the skin sorta just fell off when I took him out of the water. Hopefully the pop eye goes away with good water changes and some melafix

It just fell off? I guess all you can do is do what you are doing and watch him. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom