problem clearing camallanus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sassy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I am in a very sticky situation with camallanus worms in my tropical tank.

Tank is around 25l and houses 5 juvenile platies- 3 female 2 male size around half inch
They were housed in a 125l until around a week and a half ago when I noticed these red spikes protruding from their vents. found out they were camallanus worms so I transferred them to the smaller tank. So far have treated them with Bob Martin worming granules (contains fembendazole) soaked in bloodworms and also added to the tank water. They have had 3 days treatment so far and I have been gravel cleaning but they still are full of them. Unfortunately I cannot afford chanerverm which I know will kill them does anyone know if there is anything else in the uk that I can use to kill these horrible critters

Anyone pleeease help :banghead::banghead::(

Can you locate a bird wormer call Avitrol Plus? It contains levamisole and praziquantel. Works wonders on camellanus worms. You will need the pills not the liquid. Dose a pill per 10L of water. Crush it up an water and add to tank. Do a large water change and vacuum very well 6 hours later. Repeat treatment 2 weeks later.

I would treat the main tank also.

Last edited:
Thankyou for your quick reply. I will see if I can get hold off this.
Fingers crossed and will keep you posted.

I have tried everywhere to try and get this avitrol plus with no luck. The only place I can get chanaverm or avitrol plus is online. I am in the uk based in the hertfordshire/st albans area does anyone have any other ideas where I can purchase something that is not online only to kill these camallanus worms. Thankyou

I can I just prefer not to. I one of them old time gals, prefer to pay by cash. Sorry ;-)

I understand. The only other option I can think of is if you have contact with someone who lives elsewhere in the country that can find it in the shops and send it to you or they can purchase it online for you. I only have experience with the Avitrol to treat so I can't suggest any other medication that may work.

Ok thankyou. I will keep trying and will keep you informed as to how things go.
Thanks again :)

Hi all just to let everyone know it looks like I may have had success in beating these camallanus worms. I ordered some sera nematol which deals with these worms. My fish have had one treatment so far and I must say I have not seen no more of these things. Did a large water change and gravel clean yesterday and will give them a second treatment in two weeks.
Did lose my large black lyretail molly though hopefully I won't lose any more.

One question: does anyone know how soon I can restock as it looking a bit empty now?

Maybe add the new fish just before I give the second treatment just in case?

Great news. I would wait at least a month after the last treatment to restock. Then invest in a quarantine tank and quarantine new stock for a minimum of 2 weeks before adding to the main tank. That way new and old fish are both protected from anything the other might be carrying.

Thankyou @mummaoftwo.

Just thought it would work out better if I replaced the fish I lost before the second dose as they would all be covered as I don't have the room for another tank.

Back
Top Bottom