QT Tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajwetton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to obviously start Quarantining fish as I believe my last addition of neon tetras was the culprit of spreading Ich to my tank, last addition before that was a couple weeks before and I saw no signs of it. But i've lost 7 fish now to Ich and want to think about setting up a quarantine tank for restocking after this epidemic is over. My question is what do I need for a good QT tank, I'm assuming it doesn't need to be huge as my tanks aren't giant either. But do i need heat and filter and i'm assuing it needs to be cycled as well. Any advice on a procedure/material list for a standard qt tank would be appreciated.

I want to obviously start Quarantining fish as I believe my last addition of neon tetras was the culprit of spreading Ich to my tank, last addition before that was a couple weeks before and I saw no signs of it. But i've lost 7 fish now to Ich and want to think about setting up a quarantine tank for restocking after this epidemic is over. My question is what do I need for a good QT tank, I'm assuming it doesn't need to be huge as my tanks aren't giant either. But do i need heat and filter and i'm assuing it needs to be cycled as well. Any advice on a procedure/material list for a standard qt tank would be appreciated.

I don't have a QT tank myself, although I should, but from what I understand you want to cycle it. You may want to start it with aquarium water from a water change in another tank, then mix tap water. to help cycle. Don't put any gravel decorations or any substrate in the tank. This is a home for developing ick and other parasites. When you QT a fish for something like ick, be sure to siphon off water from the bottom. That helps get rid of the ick in its polyp stage.

I hope this helps, and I hope someone who knows more can help you. I also have a really good link on treating ick if you want it. It basically describes how to treat ick with heat alone. I usually use heat and medication.

There is another thread going right now titled quarantine tank. If you look it up I'm sure you will get some good information.

Back
Top Bottom