Question about Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible for a fish to have parasites for several months without having any ill effects? The reason I ask is because one of my Gold Gouramis has these tiny bumps on it's left side, which according to this site it could be fleshworms. The problem is these same lumps can be seen in old photos of this fish as well. I've had this same pair of Gold Gouramis for at least 6 months (although I think it's been more around 8 months) and they were both 'babies' when I got them. I'm thinking that If it were a parasite it surely would've killed the Gourami by now right or at least made her pretty ill?

Also, how do you know when the parasites that you've been treating for (I had a Ropefish who brought with it some Ich and what was ID'd as anchor worms) have been succesfully killed off? I treated the tank for Ich using the heat method. I kept the tank at 88° for about 3 weeks and I don't see any spots any more.

For the Anchor Worms (if that's in fact what it was) I treated by dosing the tank 3 times using Jungle Parasite Clear which seems to have helped, but some of the fish are still scratching themselves on the gravel and other tank decorations.

Everybody has a strong appetite and there's no noticable sluggishness or lethargy. They all seem to be happy and healthy other than the scratching (mostly the Tiger Barbs and Yoyo Loaches). Should I try treating the tank again with the Jungle Parasite Clear? I don't have Parasite Guard, I can't find it locally so I'm waiting on one of the online stores to ship my order. Should I hold off until I get the Guard and treat the tank using that?

Here are my tank parameters if it helps:
Ammonia = 0ppm, Nitrite = 0ppm, Nitrate = 20ppm, Ph 7.8, Temp 77°.

Any other advice is welcome!

Edit: Forgot to add that I also just finished treating the tank with Jungle Fungus Clear (only one dose at a slightly more than half strength).

Nobdy has any info to share?

How about this question. I got some anti-parasite food and it says to feed exclusively for 3 consecutive days for 4 weeks and to not use any other foods. How am I supposed to feed my Ropefish and Pleco since they probably won't eat this stuff.

To feed the ropefish meds, you would need to buy it in a liquid form, and soak the ropefishes' food in that, then try to get him to eat it... Easier said than done. What does he eat now?

My Ropefish willingly eats frozen Beefheart, Mysis Shrimp, and Tubifix Worms. I think he's eating frozen bloodworms as well, but I'm not positive that he did eat it.

Here are tonights parameters: Ammonia + Nitrites = 0ppm, Nitrates = 20-40ppm, Ph - 7.8 Temp 75.2°

I don't what else to do with these guys. I've treated the main tank with Melafix, Jungle Parasite Clear, Jungle Parasite Guard, Jungle Fungus Clear and the heat method to treat Ich. I've done more PWC to help keep the water clean (I put Seachem Prime in after each PWC), but the fish are STILL scratching on the decor. I found a spot of what appeared to be Ich on one of my Tiger's tail late last week, but haven't see any spots on anybody else. If it was Ich wouldn't it have spread to the other fish by now?

None of the fish are showing any signs of illness or stress other than the ocassional scratch (mainly the YoYo Loaches and Barbs). They're all very active and they all still eat like pigs. My last fish loss was a Bolivian Ram that died a week or so ago. Other than there have been absolutely no issues.

I just don't know what else to do. I hate using meds in the tank and I don't want to keep dumping them in there, but I don't know what else to do. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom