Question about setting up a QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am interested in your suggestions on how to set-up a hospital/ QT tank. How big should it be? What size and type filter? Should it have gravel? What about cycling it? That is the kind of info I need. Any help would be appreciated:)

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Depends on the size/number of fish you need to quarantine and for how long? I'm using a 20 gal for 2 adult Moors, no decorations or substrate. Started out with 1 filter sized for the tank, but since I had to hold off on PWC's I added another due to ammo spikes. I will say that a fully cycled tank is important IMO to avoid the spikes I've had to deal with.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thanks for your input MrLimpet. The fish I would be dealing with are either platys,tetras, or danios so I guess I could get by with a fairly small tank. My "home" tank is only 16 gal. Do you run it constantly...even when empty?

IMO, it depends on the purpose. A 10g will most likely suffice for the fish you mentioned. If you're using it to qt new arrivals, it needs to be cycled. If you're using it to treat a diseased fish, cycling isn't necessary IMO, as daily water changes are usually the first/best step in treating a disease.

I have sponge filters in most of my tanks as back up filters. If I QT something I just borrow a sponge. Instant cycle. I have a 10G set aside at the moment and a 40G breeder tank that is empty that I can use.

Thanks you guys! That's the kind of info I needed. As always, ask a question on AA...you get multiple answers...all helpful.

Back
Top Bottom