Red spot on my Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejgonzalez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help. My Cichlid had popeye. I got rid of the pop eye and know he has a big red dot on the top of his head. It looks like he scraped his skin on something in the tank but, I want to be sure he is not sick so that he won't get my other fish sick. It's a round red spot that almost looks like it's a brain on top of his head. Can anyone help?

Can you post a picture

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know how to post a pic here. I'm trying and I can't. I'm not that computer savvy.

It's still not working. They make it nearly impossible for someone like me to post a pic. I give up. I just hope my fish doesn't die. Thanks for the help everyone.

Check out Hexamita aka Hole in the head disease. I googled hole in the head disease and it seems Cichlids are frequently affected.

How is the water quality? I would recommend doing a couple 50% pwc just to get the water quality up. Test before (you can save the water sample, 1 cup to test at the store if you don't have a test kit) and compare the before and after.

Make sure you aren't ever feeding.

Is the fish's poop white, clear stringy?

Just guessing since there is no pic.

We want to help you get your fish better and find out how to post pics.

Below is a link to post a new thread about what difficulty you are having and what method you are trying to use to post by phone or by phone loaded to email downloaded to computer photo gallery and then trying to post to AA - make a new album on your profile, add pics to that and then copy the IMG under the pic in the album into the thread post.

If that scenario doesn't help (I don't use the app but I understand that is much more simple)
post here the new thread
Forum Admin & Announcements - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

If it's not parasitic, which it doesn't sound like then it could be septicemia (bacteria in the blood that is poisoning it) sort of exploding outwards creating the red dot that's coming out of his skin. Like an internal infection. If I were you I'd use a broad spectrum antibiotic. Something that can be absorbed easily. Furan 2 mixed with Kanaplex is a good combo as it targets a lot of bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom