Reprise of perulent nostril

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flutterby21782

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank Specs:
Ammonia 0
NitrAtes 5
NitrItes 0
ppm(Hardness) 50 -120
ppm (Alkalinity) 80 -120
pH 6.8 - 7.2

90 gallon with 3 Blood Red Parrot Cichlids, 1Convict Parrot Cichlid, 3 Balas, 1 Cory Cat, 2 African Butterfly fish, 5 spiny eels.

25% water changes once a week, temp is at 75 F.

Right now I have stress coat, MelaFix, and PimaFix in my tank (recommended doses)

BRPC is a little lethargic but still eats and swims around, etc.

I thought I had the perulent nostril taken care of and on teh way to recovery. This evening while checking on everybody I noticed another perulent bump right in the middle and a little ways up between the nostrils. I scooped my little guy outta the tank to see what was up. Just feeling around, I applied very light pressure to the new bump. Pus oozed outta his left nostril. It was pretty foul smelling.
Should I stick with the MelaFix and PimaFix doses daily, or should I try the fish Amoxicillian, or does anyone else have a better idea. Feel free to bounce ideas off of me I'm very open minded.

Sounds like an infection that needs an antibiotic. Melafix and Primafix may be too mild. Maracyn and Maracyn II are the most common antibiotics. It would be best if you could QT the sick fish for treatment since antibiotics may kill the good bacteria in your tank (Maracyn and Maracyn II completely knocked mine out). In all honesty, I'm just guessing since I've never heard of fish releasing pus - hopefully someone else will respond also.

Thanks for your advice. My online crashed the other night, I wasn't able to respond til just now. (S)he didn't make it. I think I know what happened. I had a crayfish that molted last week Wednsday, the fish made quick work of all but the tail (never had that happen before). I believe the crayfish was carrying a parasite of some sort, I have lost my 3BRPC, my 3 bala sharks, and my 5 spiny eels. I have my jellybean left (in QT tank) a cory cat and my African Butterfly fish. Before my hufe female BRPC died she was getting a pimple type thing on her "nose/forehead" area. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom