Am I paranoid or is this fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dsudnick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Early today I had problems with my water parameters after a lot of help I determined I had to do an in fish cycle, I was able to get my my parameters to as follows, and am in the process of cycling…

55 Gallon Tank

PH: 7.3
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Now lately I’ve been noticing my Betas fins looking a little frayed, my fiancé says it’s the type of fish. Could somebody help out with some input.

IMG_5730.jpgIMG_5731.jpgIMG_5732.jpgIMG_5733.jpg

I don’t have a Betta currently but in the past I had one like this. In my experience fin rot, you can see a white film at the edge of the fins…they don’t look healthy. From the pics looks like yours just ripped it’s fins which happens with the flowy fin types as I was told.

Fin rot tends to look mushy and happens gradually. Torn fins tend to be cleaner wounds and happen much quicker.

Fin rot is often caused by poor water quality.

Torn fins can be caused by either other fish nipping at them or them getting caught on sharp bits of aquascape.

You have the potential for either.

Your water parameters have been off for a month as your fish have been living in a uncycled tank.

Angel fish and bettas are not considered good tank mates. They will fight. Many tetras are fin nippers. Either could be causing the damage.

Personally it looks like the result of torn fins to me, and the poor water quality the fish was living in wont be helping healing your betta. Clean water and a stressfree environment will help your fish heal up. I would move the fish into a quarantine tank, regular (daily) water changes to keep water pristine. Longer term, probably best to set up a permanent home for the betta more suited for its individual needs.

Hey! You're tank parameters look just fine, great job on keeping them down! I would suggest you try to remember how he was when you first got him, and compare it to now, see if anything has changed a lot. Also, look for anything that would've potentially ripped his fins, as that could also be a reason.

It doesn't look a lot like fin rot to me- I would assume it's either ripped out or due to his breed. He might be a combtail betta, and these types of bettas were bred to look exactly like those.

Hey! You're tank parameters look just fine, great job on keeping them down! I would suggest you try to remember how he was when you first got him, and compare it to now, see if anything has changed a lot. Also, look for anything that would've potentially ripped his fins, as that could also be a reason.

It doesn't look a lot like fin rot to me- I would assume it's either ripped out or due to his breed. He might be a combtail betta, and these types of bettas were bred to look exactly like those.
Those parameters where much worse less than 24 hours ago. The fish have been living in their own waste for a month. They have only got there through numerous, big water changes.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/high-ammonia-and-nitrite-levels-379743.html

Early today I had problems with my water parameters after a lot of help I determined I had to do an in fish cycle, I was able to get my my parameters to as follows, and am in the process of cycling…

55 Gallon Tank

PH: 7.3
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Now lately I’ve been noticing my Betas fins looking a little frayed, my fiancé says it’s the type of fish. Could somebody help out with some input.

View attachment 323536View attachment 323537View attachment 323538View attachment 323539
Hello, if tips of fins are white this may be a sign of regrowth but it would benefit betta to treat for fin rot using aquarium salt & water changes in it's early stages. Stronger meds will be required if problem is left unaddressed.
Remember as stated before angels & tetras are not good tank mates for bettas. Not saying it can't be done but this is my opinion too. So maybe you could set up another tank to permanently house betta & treatment.
So that said plecos & tetras are salt sensitive but can easily handle low doses. To treat I would do a 50% + water change to make parameters optimal. Then I would use 1 level teaspoon(no more) of aquarium salt per gallon of tank volume. Use tank water to dissolve. I like to use a clean jar w/tight lid, then shake solution & salt will dissolve faster. Do not add solution all at once your fish need time to acclimate to salinity. I do about about 1/3 every half hour. Water changes should be done at 25% w/light substrate vac every 2-3days to keep tank pristine. Replace any salt taken out by water changes. You should see improvement within 4-7days.
Salt not only prevents fungus & infection. It is good for gill function & slime coat too(suggest research) + fresh water does wonders. Hope this helps!!!!!

I like to use a clean jar w/tight lid, then shake solution & salt will dissolve faster.

Excellent suggestion! I always have trouble getting salt to dissolve and resort to stirring and stirring in a jug. We should make a list of tips and tricks to make life easier like this.

Excellent suggestion! I always have trouble getting salt to dissolve and resort to stirring and stirring in a jug. We should make a list of tips and tricks to make life easier like this.
Was using that method to dissolve shrimp pellets for fry(pleco, cory & convict cichlid). Decided to try salt & worked great. Cut dissolve time drastically.
I think such a list would benefit people in group greatly.

Back
Top Bottom