Restart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well my fish tank got wiped out by a columnaris infection had it running for.six months (petco screwed me) going to have a ten gallon quartine tank setup.from now on before adding.more fish
I was wondering how should I disinfect the.equipment and tank before using.it.again and how can I prevent another outbreak I don't want it.to hit my 55 gallon cichlid tank (that would kill me if they started dying)

Sent from my C6606 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Easiest is a 10% bleach solution. Run the entire tank (incl filter) with that setup for 8 hours. Drain, fill with clean tap water and run for 4-6 hours. Drain again and allow to completely air dry. If you notice any bleach odor fill and run again. Another method would be using vinegar. Fill it about half way, add a cup of vinegar, power scrub the all tank glass with a soft rag. Drain, rinse, air dry, rinse, air dry. If you notice any odor, rinse, repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Just had an out break in one of my tanks. I learned that I was overstocked, bought more fish than I should at 1 time, and that I was adding fish to soon. So I am now left with 2 male guppies, about 15 fry and 2 dying ottos. I'm in the process of draining the entire tank and cleaning with aquarium salt and vinegar. When I'm done I will be sanitizing my ornaments, siphon and buckets with bleach and a super good rinse and be sure everything in completely dry before starting up again. I had gravel and sand. I'm going to replace with the larger gravel stones. Good luck to you hope it all works out. For me I figure I was taught by several mistakes and have learned allot over the past 6 months. See if I can get it right this time. No more following advice from the fish stores i will do my own research and come here with questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah that may have been my problem also I added way.too many.cory cats.and mollies at one time

I think I may have added 16 fishes in less than two days I thought since they were mostly in the same.tank it should be fine

It's very easy to do, especially being new.. We get excited and just can't wait. I never thought keeping fish would be hard, but after 6 months of trying to keep guppies, I quit. Not sure what I'll do with that tank yet. It is confusing to us newbies, example Cory cats you want between 4-6, simply thought ok I'll go get 5 so they start out happy. I'm afraid I'm going to fail both my aquariums and will have only wasted time, money, and killing these helpless fish. No matter how much I read, it's not enough. ?

Methylene blue is a good fish safe disenfectent. You don't want to use clorine bleach on something thats gonna come into contact with the fish again soon like a net or siphon or filter.
But it does stain the heck outta everything except glass and anything black.

Thank you Matt!!! Any and all help is appreciated at this point. I am crossing my fingers it doesn't hit my other tank. I have much more time, money, and care invested in that one.

Back
Top Bottom