Should I Add My Fish Back In ... ***UPDATE***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night when I realized I had ick, I took out the fish that had the original (& most) ick spots (listened to my father before I found this site) and QT'd him in a small tank. Would have taken out the neons but couldn't catch the little buggers. Now I am thinking that he should be back in the tank while I am getting rid of the ick (using the heat method) instead of de-icking 2 tanks ... what do you all suggest?

:oops: Just want to let you also know that I am real newby to this ... 25 years ago my father had a 100g, 50g and 25g tank, but don't remember a darn thing about the whole process although he swears I was right along side of him helping.

Well I added the ICKy guy back in and he seems to be doing just fine. It looks like some of the white spots are going away but I have lost 4 neon tetras and one beautiful female Gourami! The rest seem happy (2 angels, 2 bumblebees, 2 remaining neons, 5 misc. tetras {not sure what they are} and 1 male red gourami).

Have you read Alli's article on ick? This would be a first step.

She might disagree, but I think you might as well move the other fish back, if you are planning to medicate the main tank anyways.

Read her article and following what she is doing. Started upping the temp last night. So far up to 80 degrees. Thinking that moving the fish is the way to go. Thanks.

*nods and agrees*

Might as well treat them all, as the heat method is the least stressful and certainly no where near as dangerous as some meds can be. Plus, if you don't treat em all, you stand a chance of the healed guys going back into the tank and getting infected all over again. When I had both my ich breakouts, it was only a single species in the tank with obvious signs (loaches in one, cardinals in the other), but I treated the whole tank to ensure it didn't happen again :)

Of course, caveats:

Add new fish; take a chance on ich breaking out again, even if they come thru QT apparently fine.

Ich can be "invisible"; hiding in the gills and not be apparent. Your other guys MIGHT actually have a case of ich and you not be aware.

As long as there is a host (a fish) ich can survive unless its eradicated. Hence treating em all :)

Don't forget to add additional surface agitation; high temps = less oxygen in the water

Thanks Ally. I am so new to this and I feel like I am literally treading water. I am going to add the guy back in and hold me breathe! I am going to up the air pump to add more bubble (more agitation?) Is that correct?? Geez ... I feel really stupid about right now :lol:

LOL Nothing stupid about it! You're doing exactly what I would do; it makes the most sense :) Everyone will be treated, ich will be eradicated from the tank, there will be enough O2 for the high temps (the air pump will add bubbles which will agitate the surface just as you said), and none of the fish will be endangered by poisonous meds.

Alli ... thanks again a million times over. Now I just need to get that temp up. It seems that the heater my father bought is not doing the job. I need to get a large one or just add another one for now. That's on my list of things to do today. :)

Alli: Will the QT tank still need cleaned and medicated, or will it be fine once the infected fish is moved back to the main tank?

I'd leave it fallow for a couple of weeks at high temps if they aren't treated in there. Between the temps and the lack of a host, one can be sure the parasites are gone :)

Think I will turn up the heat on the empty QT tank and just let it sit there.

Bought a new filter also this morning.

OK. I'll put my 2 cents in.

Personally, I don't think you need to treat an empty QT tank. Ich cannot survive without a fish host. So all you need to do is to empty out the QT & let it sit for a while. If you are really paranoid, you can wash out the whole thing with bleach (& get rid of the bleach with rinsing & finally dechlorinator).

So now you can just concentrate on the main tank. May be use the heater from the QT on the main tank also to maintain the temp.

Only other thing to say is; have patience. You need to wait till the ich finishes its current cycle in the fish before they are susceptible to treatment, so it might be a few days before you see the disappearance of the spots. Unfortunately, you might lose some fish in the meantime.

I would encourage you to stay the course. Worse thing to do is to start one treatment, and switch to another before the first had time to work, & then switching to another .. etc.

Good luck!

JSoong ... Thanks I agree totally (and I am a little paranoid :oops: but learning). Taking it easy on the QT tank. I already bought a second heater for the main tank to maintain the temp at 87.5. Just have to wait it out like you said and be patient. That's the hardest part.

Heh, patience ain't my virtue either. But in the case of ich it really pays off!

Back
Top Bottom