Should I euthanize this fish ?? :O(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
412686202.jpg
[/IMG]

412686203.jpg
[/IMG]My molly is not looking good at all...........not sure if it's bladder disease or what, but she/he has gotten 10x worse in the last two days. Still swimming and not showing any signs of duress or unhappiness at all........ To answer the questions at the beginning of the page:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Molly, pics say it all.... :O(

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

PH is @ 6.5, Nitrates @ 2 , all the rest @zero...very healthy planted tank...

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

29 gallon...set up for about four years....

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Using a Tetra Whisper 30.....gph not sure about

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Probably around 20...2 large Bala Sharks, a Large Angel, many Serpae Tetras, Pleco and a Siamese algae eater

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I do a 50% water change every weekend, and rarely vacuum gravel as I have a carpet..

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Fish is about 2 years old....

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nothing new, I follow a pretty strict regiment....

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I feed a variety of flakes, Frozen Brine Shrimp, pellet foods, as well as Zuke and lettuce for the Pleco

Hi, sadly I don't see many come back from that. You could try Epsom salts in a QT / spare bucket and see if that helps.

She has dropsy. The scales poking outwards give it away. You'll want to separate her into a hospital tank and start a salt treatment with more frequent water changes until she's better. If the salt doesn't work you'll need to try an antibiotic, Maracyn-two is supposed to work.

I had it the fish in a seperate bowl with salt and an air stone, but alas I found her floating today........ :O( Only good thing is, this fish was swimming around like crazy and showed zero signs of distress. Seemed perfectly happy right up until the end.

Back
Top Bottom