Siamese Algae Eater Does Not Move And Stays In Bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VIARPE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I've been fishkeeping for 4 years now.
I have 2 tanks and currently have a problem I can't figure out in one.
I'll start with my specs:
57L
-4 Crossocheilus Siamensis (Siamese Algae eater), 2 of 11 cm, 2 of 5 cm.
-4 Thayeria Boehlkei (Penguin Tetra)
- Planorbis sp and trumpet snails in low numbers
-Heavily Planted: lots of anubias, some hygrophila polysperma, some java fern.
- Driftwood since it started: same piece of driftwood.
- Gravel substrate
- No CO2
- Avg Temperature 26ºC
-NH3 and NO2: 0
-NO3: usually 100mgl before waterchange, 50gml after waterchange. It's tough to get it lower since out of the tap its 25mgl.
-PH: I don't remember, havent checked in years since I can't change it, but I remember it was fine... like 7. I'd rather keep it stable rather than try to force it and be unstable.
I went on a little vacation, leaving the house alone for 2 and a half days. This morning, after returning, I go to check this tank to find 1 big Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus Langei) in the bottom, barely moving. It is sided and only breathes. The other big SAE, a C. Siamensis, only moves ocasionally only to stop resting in some anubia roots, without moving much; however, when he moves its with a lot of quickness and strenght, like allways, only that now it is even stiller when it's resting. The smaller SAEs are moving, one like usually, very eager and the other just like the big C. Siamensis. All penguin tetras are behaving normally.
In short:
1 Crossocheilus Langei (10 cm) almost dead, not moving, sided, in the bottom.
1 Crossocheilius Siamensis (10 cm) moving less than usually, but when it does move, it is with quickness and strenght.
1 Crossocheilius Siamensis (5 cm) moving less than usually, but when it does move, it is with quickness and strenght.
1 Crossocheilius Siamensis (5 cm) moving just like allways.

I haven't added anything to the aquarium since like 2 years ago.
Manteinance is regular and normal, 45% water change every week with purified water for human drinking (Nestle Pure Life) since I thought it was more pure than tap water. At least its softer since snails have gotten very white and their population has decreased since I started that practice 1 or 2 years ago. Sometimes we do the water changes with SERA Aquatan, sometimes without (my mom does the water change since the aquarium is at her house, I go check it once every two weeks, she sometimes forget to add aquatan...).

On reddit a user recomended to check their gills in case it was chloramine posoning: they are fine.

What could be the issue? I just did a partial water change to get the NO3 to 50mgl (monday is water change day). I added an ir bubbler to get more oxigen in the water in case that helps.
I added SERA Toxivec just in case.

Any help will be welcome, I'm desperate.

Thank you and greetings from Chile.

Hi, I'm sure this is done but did you get readings for ammonia and ph? Is there any blackness around gills / fin edges. This would start to rule out a water issue.

Then did anything change in those 2 days eg over-feeding or water change or room sprayed or warm weather or anything really.

After that, starting to look at bacterial or viral.

Back
Top Bottom