Sick Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmavrik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
I've tried melafix and pimafix to treat this but it doesn't seem to work. He was acting fine until it got to his eye and now I'm worried because he won't eat like he normally does. All of the other fish are completely fine. Yesterday he had a little spit right above his head and. Now it is on his eye. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433942599.626807.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433942616.957097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've salted the tank as well

IMO salt won't do much good.

Cloudy eyes is often a symptom of stress or poor water quality. Frequent water changes should help him/her out.

What are your water parameters?

Caleb

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-40 or 50 range
pH-7.5
I've always had extremely high phosphate, over 5 ppm.

From all I've heard, these treatments are more preventative then curative which may explain why the fish is not getting better.
From the looks of it, the skin around the eye seems to be deteriorating which is a sign of Hole in the head. Treatment should be with a medicine for Hexamita. This is also usually a sign of deteriorating water quality and improper diet. The fact that your other fish are fine may just be temporary so I would do a complete water panel then post your results to help us better help you.
IF the eye is popping out of it's socket (it's hard to tell from these pics) that's a sign of an internal disease or excess gas in the water ( usually caused by too many tiny bubbles.) If it's disease, you need to use an internal medication such as Maracyn 2 or Kanamycin. If it's bubbles, you need to change whatever you have that's creating the tiny bubbles and replace with something that makes larger bubbles or figure out a container for the tiny bubbles to collect in then release as larger bubbles.

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you for the response, to me the eye looks like it is almost triple in size outward. However, I don't have anything that makes bubbles so I'm not sure why. The cottony growth seems to stay with it though.

Thank you for the response, to me the eye looks like it is almost triple in size outward. However, I don't have anything that makes bubbles so I'm not sure why. The cottony growth seems to stay with it though.

Is that on the mouth as well? Looked to be some white there in the pics?

That would be Pop eye which is usually from disease if no gas issues are present. I would reduce the nitrates however as you are bordering the too high side. This could be the reason for the discomfort of the fish and weakening of it's immune system.
Cottony growths are usually fungal as well so the best treatment I have found for these 2 issues is Furan-2, done in a separate hospital tank. The sooner you can start treating the better.

As for how this fish got these, possible reasons are the nitrates, attack from another fish, accidental injury on a decoration to name a few. At this point, it doesn't really matter. This fish would be best served by removal from the main tank and treated for the infections without having to stress about the other fish attacking it or out competing it for food.

Hope this helps(y)

Back
Top Bottom