sick betta, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahayes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

male crown tail betta, approx 18 months old. he had issues with his swim bladder a few weeks ago, had a hard time staying straight and kept sinking so he went into a hospital tank and i fasted him for 4 days and then fed him daphnia, he then pooped and pooped and pooped and got back to normal so he wentback into his tank. everything has been great for 2 weeks, color is beautiful im being more careful and only feeding him 3 pellets per day and every 3rd day giving him a few daphnia to keep him regular. now he is acting lethargic, no trouble swimming at all but he just seems tired. so ive fasted him yesterday and he had a giant poop but still doesnt seem better. ive checked and he does not have velvet, no white spots, and all of his fins are in perfect shape.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

ammonia 0 nitrites 0 ph 7.6 nitrates 20ppm (that is base for our tap water after being filtered and his tank is always at 20ppm)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

10 gallon tank, set up for 3 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Tetra Whisper 2 -10i Power Filter for Aquariums up to 10 Gallons

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
just my betta

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
yesterday 20%

How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
weekly 10-30% depending on how long it takes me to get through all of the gravel

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
i got him december 2016

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

i moved him to this tank 2 months ago after a 3 week seeded cycle, everything that is in it was in his last tank except for the filter and substrate

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

omega one betta pellets, 3 daily, every 3rd day 4 freeze dried daphnia (zoo-med)

please help i love this little guy

Try 50% weekly water changes. Most ailments are water related and water parameters can be affected by other factors than just our standard ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests. Keep your tank at 78-80 degrees. Other than that.... it seems like you are doing things pretty text book from what you described. I know that sometimes when I have the sh*t's I get tired. Lol. Maybe he'll recover?

Slow the flow down on the filter. Make sure temp is 78,79, or 80 degrees. And less feedings on frozen foods. Get some dried blood worms. They love them. Some frozen foods can make fish sick.

temp is at 81 and stable, i have a large rock breaking the flow from the filter so theres next to no current, and i have never fed him any frozen food. he actually hates blood worms so i feed freeze dried daphnia ever 3 or 4 days.

temp is at 81 and stable, i have a large rock breaking the flow from the filter so theres next to no current, and i have never fed him any frozen food. he actually hates blood worms so i feed freeze dried daphnia ever 3 or 4 days.
Soaking the pellets before feeding?

Back
Top Bottom