sick corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got something that's causing the tail fins to shorten or rot-off on my Julii corys. I have a Swartz's cory with no problems. I've actually already lost one of the Julii corys. Is this a bacterial fin rot and are these types of corys more susceptible?

Hi Dax,
Obviously right off the bat it sounds like fin rot. If you are able to quarantine the sick fish I would definetly do so ASAP!

Do everyone a favor though so we can try to help you more. Post the following info:
Tank size
Other tank mates
Stats (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and temp)
How often you clean the tank

That way we can try and help you more!

-brent

Definitely answer those questions. When my corys fins were almost completely gone, I moved them to qt and dosed with Melafix for the prescribed amount of time, and their fins grew back. Do you notice anything growing on their fins or any discoloration?

tank stats

I've got a young clown loach (2"), 3 young Yo Yo loaches (2" or less), 7 Black Ruby Barbs (1.5"), a flying fox (2") and a chinese algae eater (2").
I have a 29 gallon tank and my nitrates and ammonia have been tested and are at safe levels according to the color change kit I use. The temperature is at 78F. I'm running an undergravel filter, a Tetra Whisper 30 power filter and an Aquaclear 200 power filter. I do >30% water changes every 2 weeks but I have gone for 3 weeks. I change the charcoal in the power filters every 2 months but I only clean the sponges in tank water and stick them back in. I have the little ceramic media pellets for the Aquaclear 200 and I just rinse them a little in tank water during cleaning. I vacuum the gravel about once every 2 - 3 months. The water pH runs kinda high, about 7.8. I'd like to lower it but I'm scared to take that on. Our water is very hard and alkaline.

If you wanted to, a natural way to lower pH is by using driftwood in the tank or you could use peat in the filter.
I use driftwood and it works very well, plus my plecos love it. :wink:

driftwood

I've got a hunk of driftwood in there now. Its about 12" long and 4" thick.
Maybe I need to put more in? Can a piece of driftwood get too old to make a pH difference.

Back
Top Bottom