Sick Goldfish (newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beanbag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. I'm sure you get a lot of posts like this from newbies, I'm a member of a bearded dragon forum and the same happens on their.

Here's the problem....

My partner thought it would be a great idea to buy me a goldfish for a gift, I was a bit horrified by the size of the tank (17 litres) with a filter but everyone told me i was being over the top and goldfish survive in anything! After 4 weeks my goldfish (about 2 1/2 inches long, standard goldfish) started to develop red streaks in his fins. I looked it up, as you do and my eyes were open to a whole world of info! I did a 50% water change but he went downhill really really quickly, he was bottom siting or diving around and his top fin started rotting down plus he lost a few scales in the space of 24 hours. I thought i'd get rid of all the water in his tank and start again to give instant relief (with appropriate water purifier) then did 50% water changes everyday for a couple of days. He seemed instantly better, started to swim around normally again and after 3 days of not, started eating again. I thought then was the time to go out and buy a bigger tank and filter, he is now in a 18 (UK) gallon tank and seems much hapier and the red streaks on his fins have started to disappear and his fin has a couple of transluccent bone like things coming out which i assume are the fins regrowing? I have question about how to cycle the tank with an ill fish! Is there a chance he will make it through a cycle?

I want to check that i have got this exactly right ..... I have ordered some api test drops that should be here tomorrow (day one of cycle today)...... This is what i plan to do.... Test the ammonia everyday and if above .5 do a 20-50% water change (with a gravel clean too, but not all the gravel at once & using a chorine treatment) repeat everyday until ammonia drops and nitrite starts to rise, then, If nitrite rises to above .25 do a 20%-50% water change. Keep this up until they both drop off and nitrates appear (keeping them below 40). Is this correct? I'm a newbie on fish and want him to survive if I can. Are these levels the correct measurements or should I change the water if it's lower levels as he's still recovering?

Obviously i'll be looking out for any signs of stress too. should i get an airpump/ airstone for oxygen levels? Am I missing anything or is there any advice people want to share, anything would be great. i'll also be making sure not to overfeed and pick up any uneaten food.

Thanks in advance and i feel embarrassed to be asking these questions, usually before I get a pet I do all the research BEFORE but it was a gift :(

Hey guys. I'm sure you get a lot of posts like this from newbies, I'm a member of a bearded dragon forum and the same happens on their.

Here's the problem....

My partner thought it would be a great idea to buy me a goldfish for a gift, I was a bit horrified by the size of the tank (17 litres) with a filter but everyone told me i was being over the top and goldfish survive in anything! After 4 weeks my goldfish (about 2 1/2 inches long, standard goldfish) started to develop red streaks in his fins. I looked it up, as you do and my eyes were open to a whole world of info! I did a 50% water change but he went downhill really really quickly, he was bottom siting or diving around and his top fin started rotting down plus he lost a few scales in the space of 24 hours. I thought i'd get rid of all the water in his tank and start again to give instant relief (with appropriate water purifier) then did 50% water changes everyday for a couple of days. He seemed instantly better, started to swim around normally again and after 3 days of not, started eating again. I thought then was the time to go out and buy a bigger tank and filter, he is now in a 18 (UK) gallon tank and seems much hapier and the red streaks on his fins have started to disappear and his fin has a couple of transluccent bone like things coming out which i assume are the fins regrowing? I have question about how to cycle the tank with an ill fish! Is there a chance he will make it through a cycle?

I want to check that i have got this exactly right ..... I have ordered some api test drops that should be here tomorrow (day one of cycle today)...... This is what i plan to do.... Test the ammonia everyday and if above .5 do a 20-50% water change (with a gravel clean too, but not all the gravel at once & using a chorine treatment) repeat everyday until ammonia drops and nitrite starts to rise, then, If nitrite rises to above .25 do a 20%-50% water change. Keep this up until they both drop off and nitrates appear (keeping them below 40). Is this correct? I'm a newbie on fish and want him to survive if I can. Are these levels the correct measurements or should I change the water if it's lower levels as he's still recovering?

Obviously i'll be looking out for any signs of stress too. should i get an airpump/ airstone for oxygen levels? Am I missing anything or is there any advice people want to share, anything would be great. i'll also be making sure not to overfeed and pick up any uneaten food.

Thanks in advance and i feel embarrassed to be asking these questions, usually before I get a pet I do all the research BEFORE but it was a gift :(

Have you read the articles on here regarding a fish-in cycle? What you've said seems to me more or less correct. Unless he looks to be gasping for more air i wouldn't worry about adding an airstone, you can - this won't do any harm :)

Keep up with the water changes until his ailments have cleared up, as long as the water is kept as clean as possible he should be ok.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Welcome to AA!!!

It sounds like you are figuring out things quickly! Good for you for doing research to help your fish! Basically, your right on track to seeing your guy safely through a fish-in cycle. As he has already suffered a bit damage from toxin exposure, it will be important to test your water daily and do water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water anytime your ammonia and/or nitrite hit .25ppm (or higher). You want to keep these toxins as low as possible. He should heal up in no time with healthy water!

You may also want to consider investing in a bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus water conditioner- either of these products will help to keep ammonia and nitrite temporarily detoxed in between water changes. This will be very helpful for your little guy!

Please check out the article below as well and feel free to ask any questions! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom