Sick gourami please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stale Cupcakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my fish tank about 6 months ago. I have had fish previously in the tank and they were diagnosed with dropsy. Since then I have deep cleaned the tank and put a new filter cartridge and bio media. About 5 months ago I purchased 2 platys 2 mollies and 2 gouramis. One of the mollies got stuck in the filter about a month after. I turned down the filter speed and everything was going okay for about 2 months. Then, one of my dwarf gouramis started looked really bad and his "sickness" escalated drasticly. For the first day he was okay, but the next he was on the floor of the tank not moving almost at all. I also noticed a discoloration on the top of him. He was beginning to become brown instead of the beautiful blue and red he used to be. The next day he sadly passed away. Me, being scared it would happen again. Cleaned out my tank and researched as much as I could with no luck into what might have caused my gourami such trouble. After that incident everything was going okay for another month. This morning I woke up and saw that my other gourami was having the same symptoms. If anyone knows what it was and how to treat it please tell me, so I can hopefully save my last gourami and if will spread to the rest of my fish. This is all in 20 gallon. Thanks.

You have cleaned your tank filter a lot...
Have you tested your water parameters to even know if the tanks cycled?
Sounds like you have bacterial issue from beginning. Healthy don't get stuck to filter intakes..
For the gourami it just that you got a dwarf gourami.They are crap fish for the most..
Here is a link on DGI [Dwarf Gourami Indiovirus].Kind of cute they named a deseas after them,but since the disease was created along with the fish I guess it is appropriate.The disease basically goes along with the fish due to poor breeding and raising conditions on the part of the Asian fish farms..
http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/education/ras/publications/Update/Iridovirus in gouramis.pdf

https://freshaquaria.org/profiles/disease/dwarf-gourami-iridovirus

Back
Top Bottom