Sick male guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Changy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a male guppy that is swimming listlessly at 45 degress (head up) around the mid level of our 48l tank. It's been like this for two days now. :confused:

All the other fish are visibly doing well - tetras (7), platys (4), female guppies (3).

Tank is cycled and water parameter were ok when I last checked four days ago.

Any comments/diagonsis? Hopefully it's just old age...

Changy

Here a picture. He's actually sometimes now pointing nearly vertical...

Water Parameters : Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, pH = 6.8 (maybe closer to 7, depending on the light)

I don't have a Nitrate testing kit yet...

Changy

Attachments

• photo - guppy.JPG
    photo - guppy.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 217
Does he have anything like white spot, fin rot etc that could be causing him to be under the weather? I lost a few guppies who went this way and died before I could find anything wrong, I put it down to age with mine but I don't know if I was right, hope you get him sorted

1 of my male guppies is doing this he has done it for a couple of months it's just because of old age

I'm guessing it is old age but as a last resort I looked on Google and YouTube and found "swim bladder disease". It might be that. I've isolated him and gave him peas, which is what some have said might help him out. Sadly though he's lost his appetite, so I think the end is near.

Will keep you posted.

Changy

For swim bladder wouldn't his tail be facing upwards?

I typed "guppy swim bladder disease" into the YouTube search function and found this...

YouTube

My guppy's doing the same thing.

Maybe some more experienced aquarists can confirm if the video is accurate, sorry but I'm too new at this to know.

If it's swim bladder disease, what are the treatments? Am I doing the right thing? Is it contagious?

Changy

Changy can he swim around and switch between top and bottom? Because i lost 2 guppies for swim bladder disease and i got a 3rd one sick, pretty bad isn't? When I realised the 3rd one was sick and my water parameters was fine i went to my fish shop to have a chat, and they got plant of treatments for swim bladder disease which I couldn't use the strongest ones because it would kill my shrimps. So they suggested me to use a physiological salt called Aqualibrium from Interpet.
I started using this on the aquarium and the fish reacted on the 2nd day, he previously was hiding and when the light was on he was scared and staying between the shadows and after the salt he was swimming around. But u can not use this salt on a high concentration for more then two weeks because some plants can start feeling it and die, although I didn't have any problem with that.
On the 3rd week he start hiding again, I increased he salt on the water and doing some researches online I found that some people give mash peas to the fish with swim bladder disease, because ur fish can be sick for many many reason and it each fish reacts in a different way. I had one that couldn't sink in the water and the others two were staying on the bottom. So the peas help the fish if the problem were over feeding.
Weird it may sound it worked for me, the salt combined with the peas. For the peas I take just one on a glass with water and hit on microwave for 1 min or 1 min and 1/2, u take the skin off and smash it. It need to be really really tiny to fit on their mouth, they love it they go crazy to eat it.

Not sure if is the ideal solution not being sure if ur fish got swim bladder disease, the the salt perhaps is a good idea.
Interpet Aqualibrium Salt: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
I have the blue one.

Hope it is helpful, good luck.

Fernandohsa, I've been checking for early signs in the other fish. So far the others look fine. Will drop into our lfs if we get another case. We've got a little fry tank nearly ready for some to be transferred over.

We've been lucky with diseases and infections so its only now got me thinking... Does anyone know if there is good science behind aquarium fish ailments? Out of interest, what do commercial breeders do (or maybe this is a topic for another section?)

Changy

Back
Top Bottom