Sick neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had 8 neon tetras in my 10g fully cycled quarantine tank for 11 days, before putting them in my main tank. Tank has been set up for 2 months. Floating plants, caves, plants. 75 degrees. Water levels are 0, 0, 5. They all hang out in the back, and eat excitedly. Though one of them swims by itself, makes a jerking motion up and down while staying in place, coloring is somewhat fading, and kind of looks bumpy. No ich spots seen anywhere.

This is my quarantine tank, so I can't separate it out. I've read up on Neon Tetra Disease, but don't want to euthanize if I don't need to or I'm wrong, but also don't want all the tetras dying.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's neons.. I'm losing my third as we speak with the sane issues.. Remove it and hope for the best...

The fish seems the same way today.

1) Should I wait it out? Use salt? Medicate (then with what)? Euthanize?

2) If I do euthanize or the fish dies, how long after could the other neons get effected? How long should I continue to quarantine the others?

The fish seems the same way today.

1) Should I wait it out? Use salt? Medicate (then with what)? Euthanize?

2) If I do euthanize or the fish dies, how long after could the other neons get effected? How long should I continue to quarantine the others?

Urgh, I keep thinking QT but you would need another one :(

How long has it been off for?

I noticed the fish swimming alone and doing the same jerking motion since I bought him 12 days ago. I noticed feading in his color and possible bumps in the past 3 days.

I noticed the fish swimming alone and doing the same jerking motion since I bought him 12 days ago. I noticed feading in his color and possible bumps in the past 3 days.

Ok, well I'm not optimistic. Can you post a pic ?

This is what I'm leaning towards, you may get some better ones.

I'd separate into another container with an air stone, medicate for parasites and use something like prime to neutralise the ammonia for several days for treatment. Not sure on salt, I would look into it. See if that improves anything.

Assumptions here are that is parasites (bacteria possible so that is why I'd look at salt as well) and since he is already away from the school is basically gone but trying something . Happy to be corrected.

I fear it's Neon Tetra Disease. Here's a video and some pictures, what do you think?

YouTube video

2 pictures, 1 of my healthy looking neons, 1 of the sick one

Attachments

• 20140212_181104.jpg
    20140212_181104.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20140212_181209.jpg
    20140212_181209.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 82
I euthanized the little guy :( That was hard. He was pale/discolored, slight bent spine, restless motion, not schooling, bumpy skin. :( RIP little neon guy

Back
Top Bottom