Sick Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I bought this platy to replace one of mine, and I noticed once I put her in the tank her fin looks like it's been nipped or some thing? I know it's not ich from personal experience, but is this just because she was in a tank of all males, or is this something I should worry about?

Attachments

• image-137219405.jpg
    image-137219405.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2954874220.jpg
    image-2954874220.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image-959540201.jpg
    image-959540201.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 64
I agree it's not ich. Does she have any signs of other injuries? My female got severely harassed by my male recently and had to separate but her injuries were like nips off the edges of her fins, nothing like what your pic shows. Can't tell by the pic, Is the spot fuzzy? And what are your params? You need to keep really good water so it heals and lessens risk of infection. I'd say keep an eye on her for any other signs of stress or illness incase it's something other than a simple injury
Also, did she have the spot before you put her in the tank or did it occur after?

Rach88 said:
I agree it's not ich. Does she have any signs of other injuries? My female got severely harassed by my male recently and had to separate but her injuries were like nips off the edges of her fins, nothing like what your pic shows. Can't tell by the pic, Is the spot fuzzy? And what are your params? You need to keep really good water so it heals and lessens risk of infection. I'd say keep an eye on her for any other signs of stress or illness incase it's something other than a simple injury
Also, did she have the spot before you put her in the tank or did it occur after?

She did seem to have the spot while in the bag, which I noticed five minutes from home. It isn't really fuzzy, just looks like white stuff coming off her tail

Sounds similar to what another of my platys has on his head (snagged himself on a sharp bit on an ornament) so I'm guessing it's an injury that's healing, but keep an eye on it if it gets bigger or begins to look red or inflamed, or she starts showing other signs of illness then check back and let us know. In the mean time make sure you test your water frequently and make sure it's clean to help her heal and lessen the risk of infection

Rach88 said:
Sounds similar to what another of my platys has on his head (snagged himself on a sharp bit on an ornament) so I'm guessing it's an injury that's healing, but keep an eye on it if it gets bigger or begins to look red or inflamed, or she starts showing other signs of illness then check back and let us know. In the mean time make sure you test your water frequently and make sure it's clean to help her heal and lessen the risk of infection

Ok, thanks, that makes me feel a lot better! I'll be sure to test my water more often!

Back
Top Bottom