Skin and Bones African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nippyfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend's African Dwarf Frog has quickly lost weight and is now described as "skin and bones" and "frightening" in appearance. It is still acting normally and is eating fine and receiving plenty of food. She is at work and unable to check the parameters at this time but is not new to the hobby and keeps her tanks well maintained. (tests regularly)

My first instinct was that it might be a parasitic infestation but neither her nor I have treated a frog for this before.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this deterioration? There is another ADF in the tank that is still perfectly healthy.

Thanks,
C

Here are her answers to the help questions.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

African Dwarf Frog/ Rapid weight loss/ skin and bones

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

At last water check it was 0 nitrite 0 ammonia and 10 nitrate but she has since changed the filter.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

25gal / Sept 2004

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Power filter (came with kit and is appropriate)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

2 clown loaches, 2 angles (mid-sized), 2 otos, 3 tetras, 2 ADFs

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Monthly (both water change and vacuuming / 25%

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

7 months

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

New filter media, new tetras and 1 new angle (tetras were Quarantined for 3 weeks)

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. Hand fed to insure proper nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom