sluggish beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matratzac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Mimosa (beautiful beta boy) is being very sluggish. He is usually a dark red color but his color has faded the last few days. Every once in a while he will storm up to the top for air and to say hi but then he will just sink back to the bottom where he will lay. This started when we went away for a week for vacation, but he is usually fine after a few hours after he gets some light but this time he is being very sluggish... it has been 1 week since we have been home. The danios are doing just fine so I dont think the water quality is bad. He leans a little to the side too when he swims, but then at some times he will seem to be doing just fine. Any help?

Well, first off, I would consider doing at least a 25% water change. The fact that the danios aren't sick yet doesn't mean the water quality can't be off, particularly if you haven't done a water change in better than a week. Then first thing tomorrow, consider getting a test kit, as the water can be pretty far along before some fish show signs of illness.

Second, from the sound of it, another possibility is constipation. Here is a pretty good page dealing with symptoms and treatments. I'd start right off with an epsom salt bath, and then try to feed him bits of pea to loosen him up. Neither of these treatments would hurt him even if it turns out he's not constipated.

Finally, while you're at the pet store getting that test kit, pick up some Melafix and Pimafix. These are great first-line meds for mild bacterial (Melafix) and fungal (Pimafix) infections. You can safely dose with BOTH at the same time, if you need to (if you have any scaleless fish in the tank, these meds are theoretically safe for them, but I would seriously consider moving your sick fish to a QT tank for treatment just to be on the safe side).

Oh, and one last thing - depending on the age of your betta, he may be starting to decline just due to old age. They only live about 3 years.

Keep us posted how it goes.

L

I agree you need a test kit. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a good FW master kit IMO. Do a water change, I'd actually do 50%. What size is your tank? Swim bladder problem seems a possiblity, this can be caused by constipation as mentioned by LKH. Peas are very good in treating constipation.

Welcome to AA! :wave:

Also, danios are incredibly hardy fish and tend not to die unless there's something REALLY, REALLY screwed up in the tank. Just because the danios seem ok, doesn't necessarily mean the water parameters are ok. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom