Some sort of Larvae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newt0524

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all

This is my first time on this site and was hoping to get a little advice.

I have recently set up a new tank for cycling (50g, freshwater, liveplants, driftwood, power filter, heater, sand substrate). The tank was set-up about 2 weeks ago and live plants were added about a week ago. The drift wood is store bought and was soaked outside the tank for about 1 day, but not boiled. There are no fish in his tank yet but will become home to one catfish when it is ready. Everything is going well and the nitrites are just starting to drop.

However, yesterday I noticed some sort of larvae (I think) swimming around in the water. They are too small too get a picture of so I will describe them as best I can.

They are thin whitish wormy looking things bout 5mm or 0.25" long. There are no other visible distinctions on them (no hooks or barbs or colourations). They just seem to float around in the current and every so often they wriggle around like crazy.

My thought right now is that they are some sort of mosquito or moth larvae, but I am not 100%.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before? Any idea what it is?
Can gill worm or hook worm (or any other parasite) live in a tank without fish?
MY catfish currently eats frozen bloodworms (mosquito larvae), but these are long dead and frozen, can the live ones hurt her at all? or is it just a tasty snack?

Any help comments suggestions are greatly appriciated as I do not want anything to happen to Sally (the catfish).

thanks in advance
newt

Hi newt. Welcome to AA.

Most worms that are parasitic need to live off of something (the fish) in order to live, therefore, I doubt it's any sort of parasitic worm.

My guess is that it's some sort of planaria/roundworm that came in with your plants. You shuold see them dissapear over the cycle time, and if not, I'm sure your catfish will enjoy eating them when you add it. No worries, they are harmless.

That is my best guess.

the devilish

good to hear its nothing parasitic. i wil deffinitely be keeping an eye o them to see what happens.

i also agree the catfish will love any extra food she can get.

thanks again

newt

Back
Top Bottom