Something in my water doesn't agree with rubberlip plecos...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of bad fish from stores... I looked at the petsmart in brampton ontario the other day, they just moved stores from one side of a palaza to another. They had their tanks for FOUR days and then fully stocked them. a staggering amount of fish died within a week, and about 50% of the fish i've seen have ich.
Just a word of caution. Apparently all the fish were held up during shipping from manitoba, they were in a bag in a styrofoam cooler for 6 days. Probably didn't help. (they sold off all their old fish when they moved stores)

*note to self* Never take fishkeeping advice from petsmart from now on */note to self*

Not sure how that was relevant... Because this petsmart has been there for a long time. And I've had good luck with basically every other fish I've gotten from them, just not rubberlips.

Ahhh Petsmart here the fish are usually nice... I have noticed the rubberlips are very small thus very young... try a mom and pop shop with bigger ones..

Yoyo's are cool, 3-5 of them. Or striped loaches too. They stay smaller of course, but are very active, and loves snails. My 2 striped loaches took care of the snail problem I had. And they have a lot of character.

Sorry I didn't look at this thread earlier. The key to me is that your plecos up and died after a water change. Plecos can be very sensitive to sudden shifts in their environment. Especially pH, so a couple of questions.

Did you or do you check tap pH vs tank? Did you do a heavy gravel vac? What is the KH of your water? I'm curious because I'm wondering if you're buffered against pH crashes.

Just so you'll know, I used to lose pleco fry after water changes. It turned out that merely buffering the water solved the problem for me..

Back
Top Bottom