Spot on Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had him for a few weeks. He's been great, tank cycled, parameters great. I noticed this spot the other day on him, it on both sides of him in the same place. Probably nothing but never can be too sure! It's just a lighter shade of color than the rest. He's still eating anything I put in there.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428097299.486200.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Could it be stress spots?
I don't know cichlids well, I only kept GBR and tapajo.
Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.
Lesley

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Could it be stress spots?
I don't know cichlids well, I only kept GBR and tapajo.
Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.
Lesley

Maybe... About to do a water change and he's in the tank alone.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What I meant by slime layer a few years ago I had an Oscar get a patchy lighter spot that looked similar to that. At the time I was feeding it feeder guppies and believe one brought some kind of bacterial or fungal infection into the tank. The spot was lighter in color than the rest of his body, irregularly shaped but ovalish, and had a thin layer of almost a slime on top, it was very thin but if he got to the right angle you could see a slime that slightly covered the whole area. I never determined if the film was part of the bacteria or if it was his body reacting. I treated with medication, don't remember exactly what and it cleared up.

What I meant by slime layer a few years ago I had an Oscar get a patchy lighter spot that looked similar to that. At the time I was feeding it feeder guppies and believe one brought some kind of bacterial or fungal infection into the tank. The spot was lighter in color than the rest of his body, irregularly shaped but ovalish, and had a thin layer of almost a slime on top, it was very thin but if he got to the right angle you could see a slime that slightly covered the whole area. I never determined if the film was part of the bacteria or if it was his body reacting. I treated with medication, don't remember exactly what and it cleared up.

Hmm I'll try and look when I get home.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Looks like a slime coat scar to me, has he been handled recently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just saw your post....what's going on with him?

Spot on both sides on him in identical placement. Refer to picture above.

I will try and get a better look at him once light cuts on here in a bit.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

How's your JD keeping?

How's your JD keeping?

Acting the same. Hard to get a look at a fish that likes his dark cave. If he comes to the front it's for food or briefly. Nothing out of his ordinary. I'm keeping an eye on the spot. I think it may just be part of him though. Or like suggested from the rocks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Acting the same. Hard to get a look at a fish that likes his dark cave. If he comes to the front it's for food or briefly. Nothing out of his ordinary. I'm keeping an eye on the spot. I think it may just be part of him though. Or like suggested from the rocks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

At least he's keeping ok. :)

Update!

I think *SHE* likes her rocks a little too much. She has another mark.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429469269.627174.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom