Swim Bladder disease help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClaytonB543

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 10 gal freshwater tank with 2 orange platys and 3 long-fin leopard danios. About 4 days ago one of my little orange platys was floating at the top of the water and I thought he had died for some reason. When I went in with my net, he instantly dove down in the tank and was swimming in circles and doing spirals and running into things. After some research, I came to the conclusion that it was most likely swim bladder. So I mushed up some peas and since he was at the top of the aquarium, he ate the mush off of my finger. The next day he was swimming normally. He was fine for about 24 hours and I just looked at the tank again and now he's scooting along the sand and swimming in spirals again. To me it looks like swim bladder - again (or still). It's my understanding that swim bladder is a symptom. I did a water change last friday and everything went like clockwork. In the past I had a problem with brown algae/diatoms (I still don't know what to call it) and was told to reduce my feeding from once a day to once every other day. My question is, what else could be causing the swim bladder? I don't overfeed because of my past problems with the brown algae/diatoms and we do have an airstone, but we've had it for months now and never had any problems. I hope someone can provide me with some insight. This is my first aquarium and I've had it since July-ish of this year.

Back
Top Bottom