Swimbladder problem....At wits end!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JurassicRIP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody have any suggestions as how to ease a swimbladder problem , for a very small , but much beloved pearlscale goldfish ?? :?: I have treated him for constipation (epsom salts, and the pea treatment) but these all passed though him , so thats not the problem. I'm currently on the 6th day of a 12 day treatment schedule using an interpet remedy. It is safe to say that this poor little sod was a merciful rescue on our behalf, as he is deformed to the point where he should have been culled as a fry (horrible to say yes, but true). He is as wide as he is long, and hasn't grown since he was purchased just after new year, i could fit him under a 50p piece,whereas his brother has come on in leaps and bounds. I'm praying it isn't genetic(thou i almost know so in my heart), trying to get down from the surface is exhausting him, and i havent seen him eat for over a week now :(. Im not giving up just yet thou, so any suggestions welcomed!!!

It is safe to say that this poor little sod was a merciful rescue on our behalf, as he is deformed to the point where he should have been culled as a fry (horrible to say yes, but true). He is as wide as he is long, and hasn't grown since he was purchased just after new year,

:oops:

I hate to say this, but it would be a kindness to put him down. It certainly sounds like a genetic defect, which will never get better. He's just suffering now, and you've done all you can.

I'm very sorry, but I believe it would really be for the best. :cry:

I'm not giving up on him just yet, as he seems to be making an improvement now. Besides hes the apple of my other halfs eye!!! I think he is eating, just not when i'm looking! He's offered only frozen foods and vegetables to stop him getting constipation, and he seems to know when to take a rest!! Maybe you would put him down, but i dont give up on my fish that easy!!

Ok, as crazy as this sounds- it might be a possibility--- does your fish gulp at the surface a lot? I had a beautiful 6 inch oranda that actually swallowed so much air that it interfered with her ability to swim correctly. If your fish has ever "passed" bubbles or anything like that, it could be that... mine died eventually because she couldn't stop gulping - but maybe this info will help you with your problem...

Back
Top Bottom