neon tetra pointing up :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Elise!!!
Dont worry-The clown loach should hopefully grow really big and we will be upgrading our tank when they grow bigger, they are only about an inch in length at the moment. :)

Honestly I think melafix is snake oil. IMO/E it doesn't do anything that clean water wouldn't do. I'd suggest ditching it and upping the water changes to 50% twice a week. I forgot to ask. What exactly does the growth on the tetra look like? Fuzzy? White? Clear? Like a cyst? Is it on the bottom lip of the fish?

It is white and on the side of his mouth, it seems to be clear iliquid in the centre. He's still able to eat small pieces of food at the moment. Just hard to get him still to get a good look!

Hi
I had to get the JBL test strip today but at least I have a tester now.
The results are:
Nitrate between 100-250
Nitrite 0
GH >7
KH 6
PH 7.6

So it is the Nitrate which is the problem, I do a gravel vac when I change the water. What else do you suggest?

Yes, that is VERY high. That would be contributing to all the problems you have been having. Start off with some large twice (or even three time) daily water changes to help bring it down. Vacuum the gravel well also. Don't mess with the filter media while this is happening because the vigorous vacuuming might cause a slight mini cycle and you want to preserve as much bacteria as you can. The goal is to keep nitrate under 20ppm with weekly water changes. If you can't do that you need to increase the water changes. Can you also test your tap water for nitrates? When you fin one you should look at getting a liquid test. And an ammonia test.

Hi
I have done a 40% water change Friday and again Saturday. The nitrate has dropped to between 50 and 100. I will continue the daily water changes until this gets to 20!
The neon still has the cyst on the side of his mouth, he doesn't seem to be able to close his mouth. I noticed another neons bottom lip has the same cyst type growth on him. I think this has been there for a while but his isn't as intrusive as the other one as can still open/close mouth.

I have not put any more melafix in the tank since Thursday so hopefully the clean water will fix this?
Thank you for your help :)
Claire x

Just realised you said I should do these large changes twice or 3 times daily so will do that tomorrow!

Hi
My levels have dropped much better now am keeping an eye on them now have the test kit.
The 2 tetra still have the cysts though, how many water changes do you think I need to do to sort these out?
Should I be adding anything to the water to help them recover?
I have aquarium salt in there already but have stopped the melafix now.

Thanks

Claire

Hi
Does anyone have any suggestions about the neon tetra with the ulcers? The one can't close his mouth and the other one has it on his chin. I'm just changing the water twice a week 50% to keep the nitrate levels down.
Thanks
Claire x

Back
Top Bottom