The 9 fish are already dead but I have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've never had Danio's before and in the empty well established 20 gallon I had I decided to get 9 celestial pearl Danio's, the day I bought them my lfs said I didn't need to do anything just float and drop, the first day they were fine second day I had one dead, woke up today and their all gone, all my water parameters are perfect 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite,, 5 nitrate, tds 178, gh 6 kh 4, temp 76.5, the only thing out of their liking was ph mines 7.7, so last night wren I seen them at the surface i did an emergency water change, that didn't help, lfs won't give me any store credit or replacements work hardier fish, after me spending $90 on fish, and $170 in. Other supplies saying it was my fault, I've never in the 11 years I've been doing this have killed 9 fish in a day, can someone give insight to what could have happened and how I could of prevented it.

Danios are one of those very popular mass produced fish whose overall quality & survivability seems to be declining.
This topic is often discussed on forums. The general consensus is, poor breeding practices
Might have better luck with Danios buying from another vendor or local breeder.

Danios are one of those very popular mass produced fish whose overall quality & survivability seems to be declining.

This topic is often discussed on forums. The general consensus is, poor breeding practices

Might have better luck with Danios buying from another vendor or local breeder.
Yeah I don't realize that they were ultra small either, but my gawd $100 bucks down the drain I don't think it was anything I did but I did change the substrate and add real driftwood 3 weeks prior, I did multiple water changes a week for 3 weeks before I added them.

That is a crushing blow. I had a similar thing happen with Chilis in January and my heart was stunned and wallet burned.

Check what their pH is at the store in their fish tank. If their store pH was more than 1 degree different than your yours, they could have been a bit shocked by the change, and they are a wee bit delicate in the transition time too. And as mentioned above by several members, the breeding weaker fish.

They were very happy with lower pH, under 7, low TDS, in my tank when I kept them.

They did not care for higher TDS in my tank when I was adding tap water for evaporation, I started losing some.

Very sorry for your losses.

That is a crushing blow. I had a similar thing happen with Chilis in January and my heart was stunned and wallet burned.

Check what their pH is at the store in their fish tank. If their store pH was more than 1 degree different than your yours, they could have been a bit shocked by the change, and they are a wee bit delicate in the transition time too. And as mentioned above by several members, the breeding weaker fish.

They were very happy with lower pH, under 7, low TDS, in my tank when I kept them.

They did not care for higher TDS in my tank when I was adding tap water for evaporation, I started losing some.

Very sorry for your losses.
Ty and yes hurts the wallet hurts my emotions more as I feel I failed, I can't believe I've spent $500 on a 20 gallon tank either ouch, substrate, driftwood, light, lid plants and take off $100 for the fish so $400 technically, obviously the most expensive piece was the light at $150 but still i should have just started upgrading my 55 gallon and it's inhabitants and c02 for it.

It is awful. In my fish and shrimp keeping there have been some terribly rough days/events which are searingly painful, even years later recalling is also a tender spot /hurt. Just know the situation is understood by me and likely most everyone else to keep fish for a good amount of time. Those feelings you mentioned are normal ones. Mourning the losses.

This hobby is expensive. Obviously not like racing dragsters... but for the pocket that isn't overflowing with riches, the dollars add up fast.

I always measure the TDS of store water from the bag when I buy fish. Had something similar happen to me with every fish I bought from a particular store. When I finally measured the TDS of the water in the bag it was over 800ppm. My tank water was just over 100ppm.

The store around the corner from me has similar TDS to me and despite it’s drab, old fashioned and kind of sickly looking tanks I’ve never lost a single fish I’ve bought from there.

Fish really do not tolerate swings in temperature, dissolved solids or oxygen levels very well at all. Celestial pearl danios are particularly fragile.

Don’t know if you did it, but I’ve also taken to slowly mixing tank water with store water to avoid ph shock. Floating usually just handles temp shock.

Back
Top Bottom