Treating ick with meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a feeling my tank is getting ick. I bought a female Betta on Friday. Took her out Saturday as we noticed a few spots and thought it could be ick. Nothing on anyone else in the tank. Treated her with extra heat 82 and API Super Ick Cure and after the first day her spots are all gone, still in hospital tank though.

Now as I look in my community tank I see 2 of my cardinal tetras might be getting a couple spots but so hard to tell. All my other fish look normal... I have cardinal tetras, Platies, Molly and an Albino Pleco in there. Ammonia is at 0, trites are at 0, and trates are at 10. Ph is at 82.

Now this is bad timing and I don't have the time to go through the slow natural way of salt and heat only and also I hear Pleco's do not like salt at all. Anyways no time to mess around so does anyone know if all my fish should be able to tolerate the Super Ick Cure? I have heard that with Cardinal tetras being in there I should half the dose.

Just really worried to do any of this that could seriously harm my fish. And worried on top that it isn't even ick but am certain it may be. Waiting it out til morning to see if there is any change.

Thanks for your help.

Hi :) you don't have to do heat/salt.

Salt is just a natural immune booster to help the fish heal if they've been scratching or have wounds.

Heat ( 86 ) is the best method. I know you said it's a "bad time" but, yes, it's slow, but it works and won't harm the fish like the meds.

Before I lost my 3 tanks bc of the Hurricane, I had a community tank with ICH and did the heat method and it took 16 days. After you see the last spot disappear they recommend another 5-7 days to be sure.

Good luck with whichever way you choose!

Back
Top Bottom